Stuck faceplate
Counter clock wise is tightening it up not taking it off.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
After you do get it off, make sure you place a plastic washer between the chuck or face plate and the spindle so this does not happen again. Some people make them from coffee can lids or you can buy them at CSUSA or other turning supply outlets. Save you from this again.

By the way looking toward the headstock counterclock wise is taking off
John T.
Depends wich way you are looking, from the tailstock end it is counter clockwise, looking the other way, that is from the headstock to the tailstock it is clockwise.

And yes impact is the way to go, a piece of 2X4 screwed onto the faceplate and hit sharply with a hammer should loosen it, if not the first time, certainly after a couple of blows.
Have fun and take care
+1. I made one from a plastic nail box. I used a forstner bit for the hole them used a knife to make it round. Made all the difference.
Don
Success.  All the replies were helpful.  And yes, impact was the important component.
In the end, after a split 1X4, the use of a big vice grip and a hammer blow resulted in a freed faceplate.

Thanks Woodnet!
Great

Now show us some turnings.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

Great

Now show is some turnings.
Yes

Find the nut that goes behind the plate

OR

Make yourself an adapter to use an impact wrench on it for next time.
[attachment=716 Wrote:Arlin Eastman pid='7408530' dateline='1482800569']
    Great

Now show is some turnings.
Yes

You asked for it!  As humble as this little bowl might be, it is my first.
Made if from a poplar 4X4 that I had lying around.
I like it

Nice curve and flows well.