Skim coat grout lines for vinyl plank
We have 4" ceramic tiles in the master and I want to cover them with vinyl planks.  I laid them in the kitchen and we like them, but that was a wood subfloor.  I'm trying to avoid chipping them all off.  The plank installation says I can skim coat over the grout lines with a floor leveler.

Anyone done a skim coat over tile with a floor leveler?  Does it actually stick to the tile?
Without having any actual idea of what I'm talking about, if the vinyl manufacturer says you can do it, they probably have some experience that it works... else there would be customers raising hell in reviews.
I wouldn't do it. Can you put luan over the tile or rip the tile and plywood the floor?  

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
Forget it.  My local rental place has an air scraper for $25/day.  I'm going to go that route.
(12-26-2016, 10:49 AM)atgcpaul Wrote: Forget it.  My local rental place has an air scraper for $25/day.  I'm going to go that route.

Probably best. I've always found it best to get down to the subfloor and start over. My kitchen had the original vinyl, then a layer of lauan then 2 layers of vinyl. When I redid the floor, I took it all out and started over with a clean sub floor.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Careful with vinyl plank. If you decide to use a pad under it, ONLY use the pad the manufacturer recommends.

I just inspected a house with a brand new kitchen and vinyl plank on the entire 1st floor. I pointed out to the prospective buyer that some of the corners of the tile were popping up. Normally, I don't include floor coverings in an inspection but this was a tripping hazard so I had to.

Long story short. The homeowner payed close to 35 grand for the kitchen and installed floor. The flooring guy put down a cork pad which is too thick and soft for the vinyl, making the locking seams pop loose. The kitchen cabinets are on top of the flooring.

Everything has to come back out, the flooring manufacturer (who is involved now) has voided the warranty so the installer has to eat the cost of a new floor and installation which was about 13 grand.

The home owner did not disclose this prior to offering the home for sale. A mess.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

I didn't use a pad (instructions didn't call for it) in my kitchen. Only the fridge sits on the vinyl, none of the cabinets. Seems to be fine after a year. I'm sure there must be a depression where the wheels are, though. In the bathroom, I had planned to run the planks underneath the sink vanity. I was thinking a furniture looking vanity with 4 legs, but maybe I'll go with a solid base now.

I wonder if the manufacturer makes the installer use new plank or if he can reuse the good ones--which must be the majority of it. If not, I'm sure someone else is going to inherit them sooner or later.

Inspections are only required to point out hazards?
Any inspection report I have seen always includes the flooring condition as well as condition of walls ceilings etc. It's really the main thing an inspection is. Don't rely on an inspection for the important structural etc items. I have yet to see any inspection that is worth paying for as most inspectors have not been in construction and don't know how things should be done other than what a class taught them. No offense to the house inspectors here.
(12-27-2016, 10:14 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: Any inspection report I have seen always includes the flooring condition as well as condition of walls ceilings etc. It's really the main thing an inspection is. Don't rely on an inspection for the important structural etc items. I have yet to see any inspection that is worth paying for as most inspectors have not been in construction and don't know how things should be done other than what a class taught them. No offense to the house inspectors here.

A lot of them suck. That's why I went into the business.

Floor coverings are not part of a home inspection unless they pose a hazard of fire or tripping etc. I've never seen a section for floor coverings in any of the inspection report software I looked at and I looked at all the major ones before making my purchase. There are no national inspection standards for floor coverings or any other decorative features of a home, nor is it on the national exam. 

When I took my training, everyone in the class either had construction, engineering or architectural experience and still four of the seventeen students didn't pass the class. It's not a requirement but those who don't, have a difficult time passing the exam. Building and construction terminology is not part of the training so you'll get lost pretty quickly if you don't have a basic understanding of how a home is built. My experience was in commercial construction. It's not an easy exam. 2000 questions and each state has their own addendum.

Most states did not require any formal training or testing up until about 10 years ago, a few still don't. The existing inspectors were grandfathered in so many of them are still in business.

This is a basic synopses of what an inspection is supposed to cover:
  • Grounds
  • Roofing
  • Chimney/fireplace/wood-stoves 
  • Exterior
  • Siding
  • Foundation
  • Exterior electric heat-pump/ Air conditioning equip.
  • Furnace, Indoor Air Conditioning equip.
  • Kitchen-Laundry room
  • Bathrooms
  • All interior rooms
  • Windows
  • Doors
  • Attic
  • Driveways
  • Patios/decks and porches
  • Walkways
  • Basement / Crawl space
  • Major fixed appliances
  • Plumbing and fixtures
  • Electric service panel and branch circuits
  • Service Entrance
  • Attached Garages
  • Safety hazards
  • Pools and Spas (optional)
  • Radon Testing  (optional)

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(12-27-2016, 07:36 AM)atgcpaul Wrote: Inspections are only required to point out hazards?

Home inspectors generally use the American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI) standards of practice for home inspections. Most states have adopted the ASHI standard. The only time we would mention decorative items like floor coverings, vinyl shutters window treatments etc. is when it poses a safety hazard or if it's affecting the function of another normally inspected component of the home.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS