Advice on building a custom bathroom vanity
(12-28-2016, 05:30 PM)JerrySats Wrote: Can anyone suggest a good book on frame less cabinets?

Building Frameless Kitchen Cabinets by Danny Proulx

Pretty much the bible.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Shakes,

Looks like you would have enough room there with the door.  I would say try to keep it symmetrical. This would be a great time to change the drawer sizes if you don't like the ones there now. Any possibility of re-positioning the sink into the center? Then you can have 2-3 drawers on each side and a double door for under the sink.

The other thought, not sure how big the space is between the wall and the current vanity, but you can redo a vanity similar to what you have now and add a tall narrow cabinet on that side. That could provide a lot more storage for you. 

Another thing to think of is to make the vanity taller than stock. Mine is 36" tall. Works out good I'm 6' and the ole lady is 5-2 without shoes on.  she has no problems with the taller vanity.  Worked out really well.
I would love to center the sink, but then i'd need to move the mirror and light fixture above.  While both doable, kind of a pain to move the medicine cabinet, as it's mounted between studs.
I just figured the extra counter space to the left would be handy, and the added drawers would be a very good thing-- living in a small house, need to take advantage of every storage space ya can!

Colin
This is timely, since I am thinking of upgrading the ones' I made mine 19 years ago. We went with the cultured marble sinks and counter. Like here: http://www.elitecountertops.com/cultured...r-tops.htm  I bought mine at the local builders yard though.  Custom ordered one was 5' long the other was more or less off the shelf. Think the big one was only $200 or so. I was worried because the long one had a small hump in the middle.  I was worried about it cracking there.  Rep came to my house and said if it did crack they would replace it. 19 years later, no crack. I will try and add some pictures later. Dan
Made this one for our old house next door. Very small bathroom.

The person in charge changed the style top so I had to make it fit by filling in.

[Image: IMG_0969_zpsqsazvrzi.jpg]

Coat of primer, then white latex then the green and before the green sets up a damp rag wipe down to antique it- then two coats of clear satin poly.
When I remodeled our old bathroom I had a heck of a time finding a sink that would fit an 18" deep vanity.  A few years later my neighbor had his remodeled and he got a sink and 18" deep laminate top from Lowes.
What do you do for the back? Leave it open so you don't have to drill holes for the plumbing or install a back and drill holes?
(02-25-2017, 08:17 AM)atgcpaul Wrote: What do you do for the back?  Leave it open so you don't have to drill holes for the plumbing or install a back and drill holes?

Not me.  I always put a back in the cabinet, just like any other cabinet.  If you have a ZipSaw it's a piece of cake to cut the holes.  If not, and I don't, just measure, mark, drill.  Or if the plumber is really nice and left long stub outs, you can slide the cabinet against the piping and still have room to reach down and trace around where they hit the back.  Escutcheons over the piping covers up the edges of the holes. 

Hmmm, do they make a router bit you could put in a palm router and use like a ZipSaw? 

John
Not sure if this was in any of the previous relies or not. If you do a frameless cabinet and the drawer fronts rest outside the carcass,make sure you install the cabinet a little distance from any wall with a door frame in it or the drawers will hit the frame.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS