Toilet Fill Problem
two of my four toilets began to leak today.  The split case on the top of the filler on both toilets began to spray out of the seams.

Wonder if we had a change in water pressure or something that caused them both to fail at the same time?
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
It's not hitting the lid, it makes no difference whether the lid is there or not. There's probably some combination of set screw+rod bend that is the magic one that allows it to fill enough to flush but also shuts the water off. Several attempts over a couple days didn't find that combination. The fluid master replacement arrived today.
[quote pid='7409575' dateline='1483031811']
The problem I have with the Fluidmaster fill valves is the bleed water into the overflow is too aggressive, and a clogged trap will cause a bowl overflow by the time it shuts off.  The bowl fills and starts going over the high point in the trap, and keeps at that level for a while while the tank fills.  That's too much water into the bowl, with much of it being wasted.

I redirected the hose out of the overflow tube in the one toilet that has one, and it fills the tank much faster, but the bowl level is pretty low.  I may try adding a tee to that line, with the run portion going into the tank, and the stem into the overflow pipe.  I'm reluctant to restrict the flow, though, as the back pressure may blow the hose off the valve.
[/quote]

Our new to us house is on a septic system. I try to put as little water into it as possible.
I redirected the small tube so no water goes down the overflow tube. Now that water that was going down the drain, is filling the tank. 
The toilet flushes just as well, and saves water.
The toilet was a 1.5 gpf toilet.  Now it's a 1 gpf !  1/2 gallon was just going down the drain!
I've heard people say the toilet needs it to flush properly. Not my toilet. Seeing is believing. 
Try it.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
They make a a adjustable flow device to prevent over filling the bowl.    LINK        Roly
(12-31-2016, 09:00 AM)Roly Wrote: They make a a adjustable flow device to prevent over filling the bowl.    LINK        Roly

That's it!  I didn't know they made that, but that's what I need.  And it's cheap.  And it has clamps, so I don't have to be concerned about the hose popping off from the extra pressure.  And it's in stock at my local HD.

I've had the hose diverted to drain into the tank, but the water level in the bowl is too low, though it did flush ok.  Saves water, too, since it's all going to filling the tank.  Filled noticably faster that way, too.    
Yes

Thanks for the link. 
Cool
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I replaced the valve assembly today with the fluid master. Aside from it actually shuts the water off, it is also much easier to adjust. Oh, and no trips to the plumbing store.
(01-02-2017, 06:04 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I replaced the valve assembly today with the fluid master.  Aside from it actually shuts the water off, it is also much easier to adjust.  Oh, and no trips to the plumbing store.

If you have really hard water/calcium every few months add a Table Spoon of Meradic acid  or a half gallon of Vinegar in the thank after a flush while filling.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

Well mine just cost me $500.  The builder used corrugated supply line, when I moved it to replace the filler, it immediately started leaking.  Everything is soldered up so I can't just swap out the supply line.  $225 a toilet to have a new valve with threads soldered on.

One thing Dad never taught me was how to sweat a copper fitting.  I feel my man card is at risk.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
if there weren't three trips to the store, you have violated a law of nature.  Not sure what the consequences are for that.
(01-03-2017, 04:50 PM)Large Wooden Badger Wrote: Well mine just cost me $500.  The builder used corrugated supply line, when I moved it to replace the filler, it immediately started leaking.  Everything is soldered up so I can't just swap out the supply line.  $225 a toilet to have a new valve with threads soldered on.

Sharkbites.