Using US tools overseas?
(12-29-2016, 04:12 PM)TDKPE Wrote: The small tools, which have 'universal' motors, won't care, and may actually be rated for 50/60Hz.  Or even DC.  But the voltage is a problem.

There are 1:2 step-down transformers designed for this purpose, and in fact, I believe they're now required in the UK on construction sites - 220V to ground stepped down to two 55V to ground hots, and without a neutral, so 110V between the two hots (basically the same as the 120/240V systems we use, without the neutral, and running at half the voltage to ground).  Safer in that you have 55V to ground from either hot, and even 110V between them is less dangerous than the 220V to ground and between hot and neutral.

Where to buy such job site units I couldn't say, but small transformers for hand-held tools shouldn't be very costly.

Single-phase induction motors running at low frequency aren't as forgiving as three-phase motors are, but if you take it easy on them, you should be ok.

Have seen those. A small yellow box with a transformer inside and two cords. The question is does that mean they are using 120v tools instead of the 220 stuff. That would get expensive having one set of tools that run at plug in 220 and another that runs at 110.

It's It's a pretty safe system though as 55V isn't much over the 40 threshold most use for the difference between safe and dangerous voltages.
(12-29-2016, 08:10 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: Have seen those. A small yellow box with a transformer inside and two cords. The question is does that mean they are using 120v tools instead of the 220 stuff. That would get expensive having one set of tools that run at plug in 220 and another that runs at 110.

It's It's a pretty safe system though as 55V isn't much over the 40 threshold most use for the difference between safe and dangerous voltages.

Yes, AFAIK.  Construction sites in the UK, especially large ones where insurance has a lot to say about how things are done (and are no different than the US and Canada in that regard), seem to require 110V center-tapped for 55V to earth (CTE in their parlance) either from the generator (usually a big diesel unit), or from a transformer.  Or from GFCI-equivalent circuitry, but this article at least says that's less desirable due to reliability issues.  http://www.its.co.uk/blog/buying-guides/...e-need-it/

Sourcing a transformer locally means it's wound for 50Hz, and universal motors don't usually care and are often 50/60Hz rated anyway.  110V is only slightly under the normal 120V for North American universal motors and wouldn't worry me, at least not for hobby work.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Here is a heads up.

Adapters and outlet Voltage might be a bigger issue. ?

http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity...y-country/

http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity...d-sockets/

Depends on which sea your going over.
(12-30-2016, 09:39 AM)daddo Wrote: Here is a heads up.

Adapters and outlet Voltage might be a bigger issue. ?

http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity...y-country/

http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity...d-sockets/

Depends on which sea your going over.

Thanks for the links.
(12-30-2016, 08:24 AM)TDKPE Wrote: Yes, AFAIK.  Construction sites in the UK, especially large ones where insurance has a lot to say about how things are done (and are no different than the US and Canada in that regard), seem to require 110V center-tapped for 55V to earth (CTE in their parlance) either from the generator (usually a big diesel unit), or from a transformer.  Or from GFCI-equivalent circuitry, but this article at least says that's less desirable due to reliability issues.  http://www.its.co.uk/blog/buying-guides/...e-need-it/

Sourcing a transformer locally means it's wound for 50Hz, and universal motors don't usually care and are often 50/60Hz rated anyway.  110V is only slightly under the normal 120V for North American universal motors and wouldn't worry me, at least not for hobby work.

Yeah I have used lots of tools on 110v or less on job sites... Lots of voltage drop from the long cords. 

I have met a few guys from the UK and they have said the health and safety nonsense is horrible to deal with there and ends up taking way more time for jobs than necessary.
(12-30-2016, 10:27 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: Yeah I have used lots of tools on 110v or less on job sites... Lots of voltage drop from the long cords. 

I have met a few guys from the UK and they have said the health and safety nonsense is horrible to deal with there and ends up taking way more time for jobs than necessary.

But they are alive to complain about it. 

John
Having lived overseas for 9 years, I highly recommend you DO NOT run your 60 Hz motor tools on 50 Hz power systems.  Transformers only change the voltage, not the frequency.  Thus, you get a slower tool that is apt to get hot while running.  Hot means less motor life, and sometimes means fried components.  As well, there's no warranty service overseas, and you'll likely void any warranties you have on your tools running them on 50 Hz power.  There are some countries that do have 60 Hz power (you'll need to check), and maybe you'll need to check on compatible plugs.

Another thing to consider is the amperage draw and circuit breakers for the outlets you plan to use.  In Europe, it's mostly 220v power.  Thus, half the amps.  So, where in the US you might have a 15A circuit, the European circuit might be 10A.  Assuming the circuit can handle the amps of your tool, you'll need to insure your transformer has a dedicated circuit breaker (not fuse).

Some tools (very few) can run on dual power.  You might check to see.  Some household electronics and computer power supplies can handle dual voltages, but usually only if the transformer in the device converts AC power to DC power.

If you are military, a lot of bases have craft shops with power tools like table saws.  Been a long time since I've been overseas on a military base, but in many cases, they have transformers and phase converters dedicated to those shops.  But, for the most part, I think you should stick to tools made to run on indigenous utilities.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Wow. What timing. I just found out my company would like to relocate us overseas as well, but we're looking at an 18-24 month timeline right now. We rejected Uruguay out of hand (no idea what's in their heads on that one), briefly considered Costa Rica, but now have to decide between British Colombia and Italy.

BC would be no issue at all, tool wise. I figure if we end up in Italy, it'd be for long enough that storing anything would be a waste, so I'd swap motors and switches (maybe a pulley or two) on my induction motor equipment rather than try to run a frequency and voltage converter.
Jason

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_elec...by_country
Paul

Are you going to keep posting here?  Hope so.

Another thought is Hand tools and it is not really expensive to get some powered tail things over in England or Germany or where ever you might be going and sell them when you leave.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.