Pen Finish Options
When you use water based poly do you thin it at all or just wipe it on right out of the can? can i still use a automotive polishing compound to shine it up or doesn't that work?
right out of the can full strength.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I just started using that,put a coat of sanding sealer on first. I put about 3 or 4 coats on,using a foam brush off the lathe.Then sand with micromesh when it is dry. I still use CA occasionally,here are a couple of pens I did about 8 years ago.Dyed curly maple and CA finish,won second place in a competition..

[Image: Dyedcurlymaplepens.jpg]

I find wax doesn't last and lacquer wears off wit use.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Finish for pens is an on going search. There are many finishes and some are well documented as is CA. But not all CA is the same. Not all pen turners apply the CA the same. Many factors come into play when doing a CA finish and this post could get very lengthy. I suggest you head over to the IAP pen turning site and check all the info posted there and all the finishes used. 

They do make odorless CA for those that are having problems with fumes. They make flexible CA which is probably better to finish pens with so that the wood and finish can move together. Many people will use the dip method in poly. Some will spray lacquer. There is a new finish that is starting to make its rounds and is very promising but a little expensive right now but who knows and this is called Solarez. It use a UV light source to cure it and it is hard as a rock when done.
John T.
I just hold the bag (paper, not plastic!) hard against the wood as it spins, to heat and close pores on the surface.  No lube, dry Kraft paper only.  It never gets past that dull glow, but the surface is well consolidated, and even resists casual damp.  Carnauba applied with a stick and heated with a rag until it begins to run, thereafter.

Sebum is basically the oil from your skin.  Pipe smokers will recall rubbing either side of the nose with their (cool) pipe, and polishing. http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/sebum
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Highly recommend you try General Finishes "Wood Turners Finish".  It's clear, water-based poly, dries  quickly with a hard and durable surface.   I don't turn pens but I turn a lot of wood bottle stoppers and have gone thru the same pain/agony as you in search of hard and durable finish.  Wood is wood be it a pen blank or stopper blank.
     I apply it with a foam brush with one hand  with the stopper mounted on a dowel which I hold and rotate with the other hand.  The finish is very thin and the excess will drip off therefore no runs.  I then place the dowel in a board with holes the same dia as the dowel to let the finish dry.   I apply three coats.  The first coat always raises the grain so the stopper goes back on the lathe and sanded with 600 grit sand paper then 1500 mesh.  After the 1st coat, I resand and apply another coat.  After the 3rd coat, you have a shinny strong finish which won't crack or chip if dropped.

Dave
I did that finish on a pen,I think you posted it before and it works great.Like it better than CA.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Have you used solarez? which product did you use they offer many products
CA is the only finish I've used on wood pens which lasts. By lasts, I mean it can be renewed by simply wiping the surface with a dry cloth.
I haven't tried poly yet.
Wax, buffing with paper bag and waxing, lacquer ALL wear of when I regularly use a wood pen.
The exception to this are wood pens made of dense oily woods such as Cocobolo and Desert Iron Wood; these seem to do fine with wax after buffing.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
My experience with CA or other film finishes on wood pens is the parts of the pen that get handled a lot get dull. I did not have the experience of simply wiping with a dry cloth to restore the shine to CA. I've started simply using some past wax on my wood pens. It is much more easily renewed and the people who want a wood pen seem to prefer it over the CA, since the pen feels more like a wood pen.