Pen Finish Options
A well built-up CA finish will last --even with my grimy, oily destructive touch.
I just finished labeling some boxes of blanks with an Amboyna burl slimline I've been man handling for about 6 months.
The CA finish still has a glowing shine.
Two weeks ago, a coworker asked to use my pen. This is the one I was using; when I gave it to her, she commented 'Wow, this pen is beautiful.'
[Image: 19_image.jpg]
[Image: 20_image.jpg]
I build a CA finish using many layers of thin followed by several of medium. Then I wet sand thru the MicroMesh grits. Then buff with carnuba wax. Haven't had any complaints about it not seeming to be wood.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(12-31-2016, 07:11 AM)Sawdustd Wrote: Highly recommend you try General Finishes "Wood Turners Finish".  It's clear, water-based poly, dries  quickly with a hard and durable surface.   I don't turn pens but I turn a lot of wood bottle stoppers and have gone thru the same pain/agony as you in search of hard and durable finish.  Wood is wood be it a pen blank or stopper blank.
     I apply it with a foam brush with one hand  with the stopper mounted on a dowel which I hold and rotate with the other hand.  The finish is very thin and the excess will drip off therefore no runs.  I then place the dowel in a board with holes the same dia as the dowel to let the finish dry.   I apply three coats.  The first coat always raises the grain so the stopper goes back on the lathe and sanded with 600 grit sand paper then 1500 mesh.  After the 1st coat, I resand and apply another coat.  After the 3rd coat, you have a shinny strong finish which won't crack or chip if dropped.

Dave

I use the same stuff, but apply it with the piece spinning on the lathe whenever possible. I do about 5-6 thin coats, sometimes more depending on the appearance. I've even buffed it out afterwards for a bit extra gloss. I do sometimes use CA, but I'm stuck using the odorless after developing a reaction to it. I've enjoyed being forced into the alternate finishes.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
So being new - what are the drawbacks of CA? I have only made 6 or so pens, but with the micro-pads they get glass smooth and the finish seems very hard. Is that the complaint? That they don't FEEL like wood? I like the idea of a simpler finish. Will give Poly/wax a try on my next pen.
CA can wreck you as the fumes are downright caustic. It can literally send you to the hospital if you don't treat it with respect and vent well - especially if you've sensitive lungs / sinuses (which I do.)

Lacquer, WoP, or even epoxy if you're feeling up to the sanding endeavor afterwards - I've seen some incredible products that are as bulletproof as you can get with marine epoxy, but the finishing efforts to product the luster we all seek was considerable I gathered when speaking with the individual.

You can have fast, durable, or shiny... pick any 2 and that'll lead you to the finish you are looking for. I've not found a product that offers all 3 in one myself.

WoP or Deft rattle can myself. Lacquer can be built up fast, melts into itself, and can be renewed if you desire down the line with a scuff and a couple new coats. WoP is a one and done and that's it as once it cures, it's plastic.

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
For all complaining about the fumes from CA - are you wearing respirators/masks during finishing? I have only done a few pens, with a mask on cannot smell them at all.
need to use the correct filter on the respirator.  A dust filter isn't going to do it for CA fumes.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Yes to both, but the fumes linger for some time - and my eyes would water from the stuff also (except when wearing my Racal of course.)

My note was merely one of caution and while I agree CA can finish out very well, I prefer other options now
Smile

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
(01-03-2017, 03:00 PM)vernonator Wrote: For all complaining about the fumes from CA - are you wearing respirators/masks during finishing? I have only done a few pens, with a mask on cannot smell them at all.

I wear a respirator with an organic cartridge. it isn't the smell that is the problem for me, but the extreme burning sensation in my eyes that encourages me to go to a safer finish.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
They do make odorless CA. A little more in price but no fumes. For those that want that wood feel all you have do is cut back on the amount of coats and do not polish. You still get the protection from a good hard finish.
John T.