Anyone switch from oil heat to Propane?
(01-02-2017, 10:30 AM)mikefm101 Wrote:   In our state the company you buy propane from owns the tank, not sure if that is unique or not. I guess that way they are responsible for leaks and corrosion inspections...

Are you sure about this Mike? I talked to Lorden about switching a few years ago and they gave me the option of either buying the tank outright with no supply commitment or they would give it to me the tank for free with the agreement to only buy LP from them.

After I ran all the numbers I decided to stay with oil. The only way I could get the payback to work was with a super high efficiency (98%?) boiler and that put the upfront cost out of my comfort range.
(01-02-2017, 03:25 PM)jlanciani Wrote: Are you sure about this Mike? I talked to Lorden about switching a few years ago and they gave me the option of either buying the tank outright with no supply commitment or they would give it to me the tank for free with the agreement to only buy LP from them.

I had spoken to Lorden too, although a few years ago. I held off replacing then as a layoff was looming for me and it was the wrong time to spend $8k.  My memory of the conversation was they own the tank, but maybe my recollection is fuzzy or they were spinning it to get a propane delivery contract.

Your comment about 98% efficiency is interesting.  I a leaning against switching out to propane.

My wife observed all the oil companies push switching to propane, so there must be something more in it for them than there is for oil. 

Mike
There is a lot less competition for propane in our area. Any jamoke with a CDL license and a truck can sell oil so it keeps the price in check.

One thing to think about if you stay with oil is adding solar domestic hot water. I put a system in about 6 years ago and couldn't be happier. I shut my boiler off in April now and leave it cold until Halloween; it saves me about 150 gallons of oil a year and cuts down on AC costs as well by not having the standby losses from the boiler. PM me if you're interested and we can talk off line or you can stop by to discuss.
I replaced a clunker oil furnace with a Bosch Propane furnace...the Bosch came with a five year parts and labor guarantee. The furnace has instant on hot water. There are two 80 pound Propane tanks outside. For space the following was gained: two oil tanks were removed from the basement,  a large oil furnace  and water and water heater were taken out of the under house garage.  A small propane heater hangs on the wall of the garage..   The zone that the water heater was on was replumbed  to heat my basement workshop with a ceiling Modine water heater.  My Bosch can be converted to natural gas should they ever pipe it on this street. Cost was about $8500 four years ago to replace.  

Propane cost varies widely with price.  Shipment costs vary depending on where you live.  

The house is 3200 square feet/two stories and my basement shop is self insulated (Dow Thermax).  Cost for heating and hot water was $1800 last year. The furnace is quiet..we turn down the heat on areas not being used that day. Buying a large house was about the same price as a smaller house so why not? 

Paul on the beautiful coast of Maine (USA)
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
Had oil when i was a kid...didn't want it again.   When we built, did not want all electric house and geo wasn't really an option back then...so propane it was.   Furnace, hot water, stove, and dryer.   Have changed suppliers and use their tank (although we could have purchased one).   Furnace was a Rheem 90+ and last time a guy was out here he checked it at over 97%  and it's over 25 years old.   I'll replace it when i have to.   No chance of natural gas around here (or for that matter, city water)...   I'm happy with the propane.   Prices have been up and down over the years, but my current supplier has been good and reliable (we just got a fillup today) and their prices are WAY better than the supplier we had before.