Time for a Dust Collector
Star 
Dust collection has been discussed extensively on these forums, and those discussions are helping me greatly in my research.  It is now time to lay down the dust pan and reach for my wallet. 

I have watched a few YouTube reviews.  It is hard to tell which ones are biased and which are true reviews, but I like this review on the Laguna C|Flex and P|Flex.  I am leaning toward Laguana, but have not decided yet.  They are a bit pricey.  I am also debating on whether the HEPA option is worth $500. 

Used DC's seldom show up in my area, but if one did, and the price was right, I would buy that and build a Thein baffle system.  However, if buying new, I believe it would be best to start with a cyclone.

I am interested in hearing your opinions and experience with DC.  I am especially interested in knowing what you wish you did differently.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I have the harbor freight unit with a Thein that works really good
I have the harbor freight with no mods. I have it piped and with the exception of my table saw I have pretty decent collection. Now that I'm getting more time in the shop I grow quite tired of emptying the bag. If I were buying now I'd get a cyclone and the biggest drum I could fit.
-Marc

I have the Oneida dust gorilla pro, fully ducted.  It's not cheap but I haven't regretted it for a moment nor wished I had done anything different - that stage came earllier.  Like many wooodworkers I started off by buying a cheap standalone which I switched between macihines with a flexi hose.  It clogged and wasn't good with dust or chips.  I then realised that if you are going to use machinery you should no more compromise on your dust/chip extraction than you would on any other piece of kit, which means spending commensurate money.  You can buy as many machines as you like but you can't buy another pair of lungs!

Jim
I also have HF with whyn filter.  works quite well.  Have a 30 gal pre garbage can with thein baffle and it catches everything except fine dust from sanding on lathe.   Hard to beat price when on sale and 20% off.
(01-01-2017, 03:45 PM)Cecil Wrote: Dust collection has been discussed extensively on these forums, and those discussions are helping me greatly in my research.  It is now time to lay down the dust pan and reach for my wallet. 

I have watched a few YouTube reviews.  It is hard to tell which ones are biased and which are true reviews, but I like this review on the Laguna C|Flex and P|Flex.  I am leaning toward Laguana, but have not decided yet.  They are a bit pricey.  I am also debating on whether the HEPA option is worth $500. 

Used DC's seldom show up in my area, but if one did, and the price was right, I would buy that and build a Thein baffle system.  However, if buying new, I believe it would be best to start with a cyclone.

I am interested in hearing your opinions and experience with DC.  I am especially interested in knowing what you wish you did differently.

Look at Laguna cyclone collectors at Rockler or Woodcraft
They are portable and impressive design to empty the saw dust. Their are also competitive in price on what they offer.
I currently have Delta 2 HP dust collector with Thien separator , works well, but I am hoping to replace that with Laguna next year.

Here are  links for Laguna, 1.5 and 2 hp. models

1.5 HP

2 HP
I have an Oneida V SYSTEM 3000 w GE HEPA Filter with metal ductwork for the table saw, jointer and planer. An Oneida dust deputy for the router table, and miscellaneous vacuuming. They work well. About to install the sentry on the bin.
http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/
I also have the Oneida  V 3000 and its the quietest cyclone I have experienced. I previously owned a grizzly and before that woodsucker cyclones that were super loud.  Noise can be  factor if your in a garage attached to the house like me. And it works great. If you can afford it, a cyclone with ducting and blast gates to each machines is the way to go. That said many people get buy with less, the Harbor Freight seems to be the best bang for the buck.
I would also check the Jet cyclone systems.  They are not so tall ceiling height can be an issue with some of them.

The biggest thing is making sure you get a big enough system for your shop and be SURE of adequate duct sizing.

If air quality is a big issue for you (and it should) I would spring for the HEPA filter.