Old DeWalts
I have a 1959 DeWalt 1030. I also have Mr. Sawdust's book. I'm hoping that in the coming months I'll be able to build a proper table for it and turn it into an accurate machine; it has the ability! For now it's my cut-off saw.
Semper fi,
Brad

Not far from me an old fellow is selling off his shop to downsize. Last item he hauls out to his driveway on nice days is a Rockwell Delta compound RAS in as new condition. Nothing missing, all original stand, table board, guard, anti kickbacks, even the 2 keys for the locking switch. He has a price tag of 125.00 on it. I've talked to him and he says he keeps getting told how dangerous this saw is and shouldn't be used. Great tool, I all ready have one.
(01-11-2017, 10:40 AM)bandsaw Wrote: ... he keeps getting told how dangerous this saw is and shouldn't be used.

If you don't know how to use it, it is dangerous.  There are plenty of things that should be avoided if you are not willing to learn about them first. 

I think the main problem with the RAS is that it's more expensive to manufacture at the same level of accuracy as competing types of saws.  For the person who needs a new tool, that's a big strike against it.  For someone who can tune up properly an older machine and learn how to use it safely, a RAS can be very useful and cost effective. 

I think of safety precautions in terms of the number of mistakes I need to make to injure myself.  While I can avoid injury by carefully thinking through everything I do, I can be confident at some point I'll make a mistake.  The reason for safety procedures is to protect against such lapses.  People are comfortable with different levels of risk.

RAS flexibility means you can wind up with complicated rules or the need to think through procedures in a way that is less likely to become a habit than procedures with a saw that does one thing.  Using the saw in a more limited way makes it easier to institute safety procedures that provide the multiple layers of precaution that I want.

I like my RAS, but it's not a tool I allow others to use in my shop.
(01-10-2017, 01:18 PM)MKepke Wrote: Looking at a snapshot in pre-internet time, in FWW Nov/Dec 1988 issue RASs were featured on the cover page.

Was going to write a longer response, but this makes it simpler.  The "internet" really started around 1982.  There were earlier versions as early as the 1950's, but the "internet" (and woodworking forums on the internet) started around 1982.

RAS's were popular into at least the 1990's.  Remember the Ryobi RA2500 10" from the late 1980's, arguably the best of the lower cost offerings.  Still have and use one, one of the more frequently used tools in my shop.
In the early 70's I built all cabinets for 2 kitchens onsite and the only stationary tool onsite was a RAS. Broke down and cut all the plywood panels. Cut all the rabbets, Ripped all the rails and styles -  moulding head on the saw for the rails and styles, cut some tenons. Would have been simpler and quicker with a couple of other machines but got the job done.
I have restored several DeWalt RASs over the years.  I enjoy restoring them.  I got red of a GWI earlier this year.  I have a 790 that wandered into my garage.  It wasn't very well cared for.  I am restoring it a little bit at a tiem.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
Here's my $50 DeWalt. 1959 Model 925 with a Mr. Sawdust table. Works great, I only use it for crosscuts.

[Image: IMG_1288_zpstqpfaass.jpg]
There is a firm in Des Moines that buys the old large DeWalt's refurbishes them and sells them to lumberyards. I think the name was Wolfe and they used to pay pretty good money for those big ones.

http://teambtf.com/woodworking-tools/
Ah, yeah - original saw company also does old dewalt refurbs and brings them up to modern bearings and standards.

If I had my ideal pick though of any RAS - it would be the unipoint which offers all of the standard capabilities (rotate arm, etc.) in addition to moving the entire column. Literally no angle that can't be accomplished with that beast... though priced AND weighs commensurate with accuracy and repeatability
Smile

[Image: 241-A.jpg]
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
(01-12-2017, 05:37 PM)Jack in omaha Wrote: There is a firm in Des Moines that buys the old large DeWalt's refurbishes them and sells them to lumberyards. I think the name was Wolfe and they used to pay pretty good money for those big ones.
http://teambtf.com/woodworking-tools/

Wolfe went out of business, kinda.  They still have an ebay presence, but I don't think they do any Dewalt repair-to-sell any more.

The link you provided  is the business that bought much of Wolfe's inventory.  They say they will do repair work, but I don't know if they do the repair/build-to-sell thing anymore either.