Ice maker problem?
My Ice maker was working slowly, then it stopped completely, then it worked for a little while and then it stopped again. I fully expect that when I get home it will be working again. We will see. Any ideas? I have been close a couple of times to calling a repair person, but then it starts working again. I installed the water line with one of those things that ‘pierces’ into a copper pipe rather that installing an actual valve, would that have gone bad so that the water is obstructed? I did fudge with it screwing it tighter and then looser and it started working for a short time after that (one of the times it recuperated). If I need to replace that valve, then I would prefer not to sweat and solder if I could get a sharkbite thing to accomplish the same thing.

Whirlpool French Door lower freezer if it makes a difference. The ice maker does not feed into an exterior door but is entirely contained in the freezer. I do not see a filter in the freezer.

Pedro
I miss nested quotes..........
Ever change the filter?
I do not see a filter in the freezer where the manual said it would be 'if it has one'.

Pedro
Replace the piercing valve with a non piercing type (drill type).   The small hole the piercing type make easily gets clogged with calcium.  Shut off water remove old valve, drill out with proper size drill and install new valve.    Suggest  adding a inline filter for the ice maker.   Roly
Doubt the filter would be in the freezer as it would freeze.
Any idea what they would call such a frill type water valve? My searches only come up with the piercing type?

Pedro

I guess I could get this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Shatg-Sharkbite-2...aker+Valve

or This one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001W9WEAC/ref...B01AD2DQEG

Is it worth the extra money to get the sharkbite?

Pedro
One like THIS is what I was referring to.   It has a stub  that goes in a drilled hole.   Roly
They make other variations that are cheaper. Non piercing saddle valve.
To add to what has been mentioned. Other than a clogged filter which would be in the fridge side... Is your freezer getting cold enough. Many times people will replace ice makers and other parts when the problem all along was the freezer not getting cold enough. 

There is a thermocouple attached to the ice tray that when it gets cold enough it will allow current to pass and the ice maker will dump the ice. If you aren't getting cold enough ice production will slow or come to a halt as it takes longer for that sensor to get cold enough. Usually it's 0* so if your freezer is 0* or just barely below that it will take longer to make ice. 
           Some units will blow the cold air directly on the ice tray to speed ice production and allow the freezer to be kept a little warmer. 

The ice makers in those bottom freezer units are garbage. Very small bins and very slow production. As in it will take days to fill a bin from empty. Not to mention all the chiropractor visits due to the freezer being on the floor. 
          The only way I see them usable in our house is to build a 20" base for the fridge to sit on and then get a seperate ice machine. 
     The current bottom freezers aren't like the ones GE sold many decades ago where the top and bottom were seperate units and very well built. They were very expensive and only lasted a couple years as they lost money on each one.
(01-04-2017, 04:06 PM)Roly Wrote: One like THIS is what I was referring to.   It has a stub  that goes in a drilled hole.   Roly
They make other variations that are cheaper.     Non piercing saddle valve.

Thanks. Do you think that is better than the sharkbite? I don't mind spending the money to get the one that will last. Tonight I have to double check that I have 1/2 inch copper.

Pedro
Not any better or worse, just depends on how you want to do it. Roly
(01-04-2017, 02:30 PM)PedroOhare Wrote: I do not see a filter in the freezer where the manual said it would be 'if it has one'.

Pedro

The filter will not be in the freezer. If it was, it'd freeze up & bust.
The filter is usually in the bottom front behind the grill.
There should be one if it has an ice maker.
It definitely has one if you have water thru the door.