Old plane, new home
Last spring, was lucky enough to bring home a Stanley #45.   It is a Type 20, SW era, Made at Roxton Pond, Que. Canada.

Rusty...meh, I can deal with rusty & krusty......it was the Stanley box that the plane came in.  The USPS had apparently used the shipping box as a football....breaking the wooden box inside. 

I went out to Lowes, and bought some 3/8" thick "Project Wood" in Poplar.    Goal was to recreate the OEM box, as best as i could..

I think I got fairly close?    The box used two panels set into dados in the sides on the box..

This is where all those cutters go.   I tried to find some labels to print out....all I could find was for New Britain CONN....Decided to apply them anyway, until I find the right ones..

very close.   Been using the rehabbed 45 ever since.    Even some of the joinery on this box, was done with the plane.   Mainly to plough a few grooves..

I had made a groove on the inside while making the sides.   Then come back after a glue-up, and plough an off-set groove to split the lid off from the box.   Left a nice lip around the edges. 

Some brass hardware to attach the lid to the box, and a decent finish to the outside.   Box was ready to go.    I kept the broken OEM box around,  might store the  Dremel and it's parts in it.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Great job. It is good to see a #45 with a job.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I was reading an old article in FineWoodWorking and I think Mike Dunbar was the author. Towards the end of the piece he made the comment that the No.45 and No. 55 were pretty worthless planes because of the time it took to adjust them and they were not specifically dedicated to one task. He liked to get several molding planes and narrow chisel planes and utilize them instead of fiddling with a 45 or 55.

That being said, I recently grabbed a 45 yet haven't rehabbed it yet. It only came with one cutter, though. Still, I got it at a great price and it will be an heirloom if for nothing else.

Near Neosho Mo. there is a flea market at a crossroads of Hwy 60 and Hwy 59 which has in it's possession a well preserved Stanley No. 55 will all the cutters. I believe the price is around $350 to $375. I've looked at it a couple of times and pondered purchasing it, yet in the back of my mind is the though of "What will I ever use it for?".

BTW, I like your box. Good job of recreating the original.
(01-04-2017, 06:56 PM)Dayle1960 Wrote: I was reading an old article in FineWoodWorking and I think Mike Dunbar was the author.  Towards the end of the piece he made the comment that the No.45 and No. 55 were pretty worthless planes because of the time it took to adjust them and they were not specifically dedicated to one task ...

I'm with JRoT on this subject ... I have several 45's ... each set up with a different blade ... I use the 1/8, 3/16 & 1/4 the most. I just grab the one I need ... adjust the fence and go to work.

The 45 is probably my favorite tool ... ;D

Red
Life is what happens when you're not paying attention.
re: that 45

Wait a few days, I have a chest of drawers project coming up.......lots of jobs for the 45  coming up.   Might even see the infamous Sash Cutter get used! 

I have been using the plane as a plough plane, tried a few dados, and had done Tongue and groove joints with it.    Tried out ta beading bit or two....and after a bit of grinding on a spare  cutter, made a few 3/4" hollows,   i ground a cutter into a "round" to make the BIG groove to hold a few auger  bits in.    Plane is fun to learn and use.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that