Is there a trick to the LN 62 (LAJ)
Hey guys, quick question: I just tried to adjust the shoe on my Lie Nielsen 62 low angle jack following the instructions on the Lie Nielsen website. It wouldn't budge. Is there a trick to it? How easily should it move? I applied substantial pressure to the adjustment lever (after loosening the knob) but stopped short of forcing it for fear of breaking it.

If it is somehow jammed, does anybody have a suggestion for clearing it?

FWIW, this plane has only seen very light duty in the past ~10 years. Never been dropped or anything like that. I can't think of any reason it'd be jammed.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
I've never touched, so much as used, an LN 62, so the below is based on the similar movable shoes found on block planes.

Take the knob off; take the adjusting lever off.  Set the sides of the plane, outside the movable shoe, on some scraps of wood (shim shingles are good, if you have any).  Find a suitable piece of hardwood to use as a punch, and tap carefully.  These adjustable shoes slide in carefully fit "rabbets" in the body, and, if they're not exercised regularly, get set in location.

Once it's apart, clean up with whatever's needed - scotch brite pad or steel wool, followed with a paper towel soaked in mineral spirits to get the grunge off - and apply furniture paste wax to all the mating surfaces.  A dollop of light grease on the pivot of the adjusting lever won't hurt, either.

You should find yourself in slide city.
Thanks. No luck. It's not budging. I spritzed some WD-40 in there, then I started out lightly, then wound up "tapping" with enough force that the hardwood punch was splitting on the edge in contact with the plane. No movement either in or out. It is well stuck. I've only used this plane 5 or 10 times in the last 10 years. This is frustrating.
Yeah, it got bonded and fixed in place over time. Bill's advice is spot on. WD 40 does you no good at all, so get yourself some penetrating oil like liquid wrench or PB blaster.  If you've taken off the knob and adjuster, fill up the recess and let it sit overnight, try some more tapping, and if no joy, fill 're up again then try tapping again. Repeat until success, it will eventually loosen up. Patience is your friend. I would not under any circumstances use heat to break the bond. 

I've never had a LN with this issue, but untold numbers of block planes, and this has worked for me. Also, the LN is ductile iron, much, much less likely to fracture during this process. Alternative is to send off to LN for repair, which they will be happy to do.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Try soaking it in WD - 40. A gallon can of it, and a small automotive waste oil drain pan. Both can be found at HD.
Leave it in for a few days.
Reclaim the WD back into it's can for future use.
Ag
I have one. Never had a problem. If I did, I would call or email LN and take their advice. Laziness and sole source responsibility have their rewards.
Make sure the shoe is really being loosened. There is a knurled brass nut under the knob that locks the knob to the bolt threaded into the shoe. If they separate, loosening the knob itself does nothing. That's the only problem I have had with the 62.
(01-04-2017, 08:36 PM)Admiral Wrote: Yeah, it got bonded and fixed in place over time. Bill's advice is spot on. WD 40 does you no good at all, so get yourself some penetrating oil like liquid wrench or PB blaster.  If you've taken off the knob and adjuster, fill up the recess and let it sit overnight, try some more tapping, and if no joy, fill 're up again then try tapping again. Repeat until success, it will eventually loosen up. Patience is your friend. I would not under any circumstances use heat to break the bond. 

I've never had a LN with this issue, but untold numbers of block planes, and this has worked for me. Also, the LN is ductile iron, much, much less likely to fracture during this process. Alternative is to send off to LN for repair, which they will be happy to do.

Thanks, Admiral, I'll try the liquid wrench addition to Bill's advice. When it didn't work the first time, I fired off an email to LN asking for advice, too. I know they'll fix it for me if need be, but I'm in the middle of my first project in a long time, and I hate to lose my momentum sending it off to them.
Smile
Its corroded together.  I've had this happen with a block plane.  Its because we set 'em and forget 'em.

I would take the blade out and try tapping with a brass hammer to loosen.  You could also try putting in freezer see if shoe will shrink a little.

It will eventually free up.

Or, just don't worry about it, not gonna make that much difference anyway.
(01-05-2017, 01:07 AM)MattP Wrote: Thanks, Admiral, I'll try the liquid wrench addition to Bill's advice. When it didn't work the first time, I fired off an email to LN asking for advice, too. I know they'll fix it for me if need be, but I'm in the middle of my first project in a long time, and I hate to lose my momentum sending it off to them.
Smile

Actually, just had an additional thought, put some plumbers putty around the joints to the shoe in the front, rear and bottom to keep the penetrating oil from leaking out too easy overnight; I never had to do this but it makes sense (I'll do it myself when I'm faced with the same problem).
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis