pricing out a shed. DIY vs kit
I think you got it right. I just built a 12'x8' shed and it was <$1500 and I had to build/pay for a gravel base and used ice shield over the whole roof (low pitch roof). I used the "smartside" products for trim and siding. I got plans from iCreatables (gable short shed due to height restrictions in my neighborhood) and they were well done and worked out great. WAY cheaper than kits and buying pre-made. The kits are not as high quality as what you can build for cheaper.

iCreatables has free videos on youtube (as well as others) that are really helpful. Other than painting, it was a fun build. I hate painting
Upset
I used 3&1/4" deck screws for the framing. However, I minimized any splitting when toe screwing by building all the walls on the deck(plywood floor) and screwing the top plate in place when the walls were erected(which also allowed for the overlapped top plate corners).

The possibility of splitting was why I used nails to fasten the rafters to the top plates.
(01-06-2017, 11:35 AM)Steve Friedman Wrote: This may seem obvious, but I suggest you get the lumber from a lumber yard.  When I built my shed last year, I found the prices competitive with the bog box stores, and most were willing to deliver for free.

Otherwise, build pictures would be great.

Good luck

Steve

I think its very wise to check out independent lumber yards. I got a 12 by 12 gambrel shed kit with 8' walls,16" O.C. framing T-111 siding, 2 by 6 p.t. floor framing with p.t. ply flooring,3 tab shingles, and lumber for a loft for about $2300 from an independent about 10 years ago. prices may be higher now, but I was impressed with the kit- even came with all the nails.