Jet or Powermatic: 6" jointer with helical head
Hello guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my jointer and want a 6" with helical head. Does anyone have input one way another on Jet's current model (JJ-6HHDX) versus Powermatic's 54HH?

Typically, the Powermatic is around $200 more. Is it worth it? (I say typically, because right now Jet's are 15% off, so I would be saving around $500 by getting the Jet.)

Look forward to your input.

Take care,
Bergie
If you have room, look at an 8-incher. Most people who get a 6-inch are soon unhappy and get an 8. Buy once, cry once.
Doing it right cost less than doing it over
Since it's all made in China nowadays, go with a Grizzly.
Way cheaper & built as well as either brand you mentioned.
does this fit in your budget?

I agree with the others you need to expand your considerations
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

What are you "upgrading" from?  I have a Ridgid 6" jointer and find I'm constantly wanting an 8" jointer.  The helical head you desire is definitely an upgrade, but I agree with the others who say save up for the 8".  Bigger motor, more efficient, longer bed.  Double the price, yes, but worth it.  These days, about the only difference between Jet and PM is the color of the machine.  The warranty's the same.  I'd go with Jet.  Jet and PM are from Taiwan.  Grizzly is from China.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I guarantee you this 8" grizzly is cheaper then the Jet or Powermatic at discount

http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Jointe...eds/G0490W

I have the 6" model the VA bought me and the 8" would be much better.
Mine

http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-X-46-J...ead/G0452Z
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I mentioned in another post that a couple of years ago I upgraded from a Ridgid 6-inch jointer and a 13-1/2 inch Delta 22-580 planer to a Jet 8-inch jointer and a 15-inch planer - both helical heads. I bought them during their 15% off sale. Yes, it was a lot of money but they both work great. Can't say whether or not the Grizzly equivalents would be as good as or better.
I upgraded the head in my jet to a helical probably 8 years ago. 

If I was in the market today, Jet or PM wouldnt be on my list. Too $$$ for not enough reason to spend it other than a brand name. Id get a grizz, and go with the 8".

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I like the idea of the 8" Grizzly, if I can overcome two issues:

1. Getting the bed box down my basement stairs. There are two steps down to a landing, then a 90 degree turn to the left. Need to make sure I can safely make that turn. Making that turn may require sending it end and dropping the leading edge to the floor and raising the tail end to the ceiling, then loading on a dolly and starting down the stairs. Any restrictions from flipping that big plywood box on end?

2. The 8" Grizzly requires 240V and my workshop is wired for 120V and there aren't a lot of options in my current panel. Anyone have any experience with this problem?

Thanks again!
What do you all think of this deal?

Powermatic PJ-882HH 8" Jointer - $2200 (Oak Park) hide this posting

<image 1 of 5>
[Image: 00t0t_fxMJ240ED0_600x450.jpg]
[Image: 00404_82YKVMl0ti8_600x450.jpg]
[Image: 00b0b_3m0bMerCGHu_600x450.jpg]
[Image: 00T0T_2XC8fYFxVZI_600x450.jpg]
[Image: 00u0u_53Z1wxvbbY9_600x450.jpg]

[Image: 00t0t_fxMJ240ED0_50x50c.jpg][Image: 00404_82YKVMl0ti8_50x50c.jpg][Image: 00b0b_3m0bMerCGHu_50x50c.jpg][Image: 00T0T_2XC8fYFxVZI_50x50c.jpg][Image: 00u0u_53Z1wxvbbY9_50x50c.jpg]

[Image: 3026.png][Image: 3026.png][Image: 3027.png][Image: 3027.png]

[/url]

© craigslist - Map data © [url=http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright]OpenStreetMap

[size=undefined]
condition: like new
make / manufacturer: Powermatic
model name / number: PJ-882HH
size / dimensions: 8" Wide X 82" Long[/size]

Hello,

The time has come for me to liquidate my woodworking equipment. I bought this unit brand new in December of 2014. Almost immediately after the purchase, life threw me a series of curve balls and I no longer have time to pursue my hobby. This unit has been used approximately 10 times!!

This unit has the helical cutterhead with indexable inserts. The unit has been used so little that the inserts have never been indexed.

Here are some important features of this jointer:

•Number of Knives 54 
•Standard Knife Size (L x W x T) (In.) 59/100 x 59/100 x 1/10 
•Cutterhead Diameter (In.) 3-1/16 
•Cutterhead Speed (RPM) 7,000 
•Cutting Capacity (W x D) (In.) 8 x 1/2 
•Table Size (L x W) (In.) 82 x 8 
•Table Height from Floor (In.) 31-5/16 
•Infeed Table Length (In.) 44 
•Outfeed Table Length (In.) 38 
•Fence Size (L x H) (In.) 44-3/4 x 38-3/16 
•Fence Tilt (Deg.) 45 Forward, 45 Backward