Jet or Powermatic: 6" jointer with helical head
+1 to everyone who says to get an 8" model. The idea of "upgrading to a 6 inch jointer", helical head or not, almost sounds contradictory to me unless you started with a 4" benchtop model. Plus, as others have pointed out, you'll most likely outgrow the 6" fairly quickly. My 6" Grizzly G0452 does work very well overall, but for a majority of the boards I buy, I have to cut some off the edges (or flat out rip them down into two narrower boards) to get them to fit the 6" capacity. Even as a hobbyist, it's a major inconvenience at best. 

One I've been eyeing (and wanting to possibly get in the next couple years or sooner if possible) is Grizzly's G0490...about $1100 brand new, and it's got a parallelogram bed adjustment system and even a built-in mobile base! I personally don't need a carbide head, but there is the G0490X, which does come with one. It looks like more of a "spiral" head than a "helical" one, though, because the cutters are oriented facing perpendicular with the beds rather than at an angle (like on the Byrd Shelix heads). Still, it's under $1600, so I'd at least research it.
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
Of course, It is worth to buy 6 Inch jointer. If you have some particular space for the jointer, then you should buy it. https://bestbenchtopjointer.com/best-6-inch-jointer/
I have the Jet 6" with helical head. Works great, no problems and got it during one of Jet's sales - could not justify the extra $$ for the Powermatic. I have, as others have pointed out, run into limitations with the 6" capacity but in my case, I had no options as I am in a rental property and the circuit breaker box is also as far away from the garage as it could be so 220V was not an option. I built a sled for my planer to handle wider boards and have access to an 8" jointer if needed so have lived without it so far for the projects I have done.

Good luck with your ultimate decision.

Ian
I have the Powermatic 54HH 6” jointer. I love the long beds and everything about the helical heads. I will never own a traditional head after trying one. It has met my needs and have no desire to upgrade. That said, for most woodworkers, the 8” is a better choice.

My wood prep methods are different then most. For years I had no room for a jointer in my old shop. I did have a portable planer that I used outside. For 20 years, I hand flatten one face of a board with a #5 plane and some winding sticks. Then, run the board through my planer with the hand flattened face down to get a flat face on the other side. Next I flip it and run the hand planned side through to clean up the rough surface the #5 leaves. I have done it so many times, that I can look at a board, identify what spots need to be planned and complete in 5 to 10 minutes max. I’m strange in that I enjoy the process.

What I never got fast with was hand jointing the edge of the board. I do not enjoy the process. When an opportunity to buy a used Powermatic 6” fel in my lap, I jumped at it. It replaces the process I do not like, edge jointing. Besides, most of my wood I own is much wider than 8”, so the extra width for face flattening does not help me much.

Match your equipment to your types of projects and the processes you use. If you do decide to go with a 6” jointer, search hard for used. They do not hold their value like 8” jointers. Most 6” owners eventually upgrade. I paid 35% of retail for my used Powermatic 54HH. You can’t find those discounts on used 8” or larger jointers.
John