How to carve a spoon?
I'd like to try my hand at carving spoons. What tools do I need? Where can I get basic information about how to do it?
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=spo...&FORM=VDRE for and embarrassing amount of lore. 

Two things I recommend are green wood and good hold-downs which allow you to keep your hands out of the way. 

[Image: Holddown.jpg]

[Image: A-Horse-of-Course.jpg]
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
An axe, a hook knife, a straight knife, and some green wood are all you need.  Pick up peter Follansbee's spoon carving DVD, its excellent.

Jonathan

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge
(01-06-2017, 02:45 PM)Jonathan S Wrote: .......... Pick up peter Follansbee's spoon carving DVD, its excellent.

Jonathan

What a great DVD! Worth every penny.

Mike
There seem to be two kinds of hook knives, one with a shorter handle and a compound curve and sometimes called a "spoon knife," the other called a "twca cam," which has a longer handle and a slightly bigger blade with a regular curve. Which should I get?
(01-06-2017, 08:33 PM)overland Wrote: There seem to be two kinds of hook knives, one with a shorter handle and a compound curve and sometimes called a "spoon knife," the other called a "twca cam," which has a longer handle and a slightly bigger blade with a regular curve. Which should I get?
The smaller one for spoons...Warren cutlery sells individual blades..They also sell handles but you should be able to make your own.. You don't need the huge curve for spoons..they just make carving the hollow harder, IMO..

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/1-B...379%2DSRH/
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

There are two basic methods, and many, many variations in each. 

The first and most traditional method is lap-carving.  You need an axe, a hook knife, and a straight knife.  Roy Underhill had Peter Follansbee on his show some time ago, and it's a very informative introduction.  Watch the video here.

The second is carving at the workbench.  You use a drawknife, spokeshave, and a good sized gouge, followed by a couple card scrapers.  It's my preferred method, and I have a lengthy blog post about it here.

I've done it both ways, and I enjoy both.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Peter Sellers has a good video as well. Similar to Steve's (Bibliophile) method. I find using a gouge much quicker than a hook knife. I don't have much access to green wood (I live in the desert), so most spoons I make aren't green wood. Green wood makes the process much, much easier!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krAIHRCx9R0
Still Learning,

Allan Hill