Christmas gifts
Hi Guys;
It's been awhile since I posted pics, and a part of that is fooling with the p-bucket hosting process.  My p-bucket account is still there, but I'm gonna give the new "attach" pics a try since the new software has given it to us.  If it is too crude, then I'll learn the new insert pics process and deal with p-bucket.  But I would rather drop the whole p-bucket process if I can.

So, my son gave me a Woodcraft gift card for Christmas, which he usually does.  Sometimes he gives me one for birthdays and/or father's days.  I get at least one a year, sometimes more.  And if someone else gives me a generic gift card to use for anything, I will shop at LV with it.   I make an effort to buy myself something "gifty" with those cards, that is something that I would not spend money for myself.

In looking around the shop, counting "Secret Santa" gifts and gift card shopping - my "gift tools" now outnumber my own purchased tools.  Generally when I do spend on a tool I need it real bad for something right now; and the last time I did that was years ago.

This year I ordered - and it just came in several days ago - one of those thread cutting and tapping kits in the 1" dowel size; and a bottle of "Old Brown Glue" hide glue; and a small book about Japanese hand tools.  Mainly what I am doing here is trying out this pic attachment process before I start any more threads with p-bucket pics.  1st up is a pic of all of them together.  I must say my new camera sure does make a better inside pic than my old e-camera did.

Attached Files Image(s)

Skip

Next one up is a closeup of the book "Care and Use of Japanese Woodworking Tools".  I have Toshio Odata's book that gives a much deeper description and understanding of the tools, but there is a lot not said about how to get started with them.  This book fills in the gaps very well indeed!  It is very useful on it's own, but it also makes Mr. Odata's book much more useful as well.  Along these same lines I have a book about Japanese swordmaking which really gores into the forging process way beyond what is available about forging planed and chisel blades.

Attached Files Image(s)

Skip

Next one up is the woodthreading kit in 1" size. It uses a 1" hardwood dowel to thread and gives instructions on how to get it started and then work it down the length.  It also uses a 7/8" hole to thread the 1" threads into.  Maybe there's a vise in my future, but I am thinking more about general shop projects, probably some very large woodscrew clamps for sure.  I have a leg vise and don't need another one of them.  Any ideas ??????

Attached Files Image(s)

Skip

Last one is a small bottle of "Old Brown Glue".  In the recent PWW that just arrived last week there is a very detailed report on hide glue by Chris S.  And within it there was an almost 3/4 page section on the making of "Old Brown Glue".  Since I had that bottle coming to me, I thought that article was very timely.  Thanks to Chris and Megan!

So, is this posting pics method too "junky" for threads here??? I really don't like the extra step of dealing with the p-bucket account, and the extra process cuts down my willingness to post a thread of my own.

Attached Files Image(s)

Skip

I just posted a picture of my own in a different thread with p-bucket, which seems to get less user friendly with each passing year. Pretty sure their strategy is to keep making it a bigger PITA so you'll spring for the paid, ad free, service.

Thanks for bringing to my attention the fact that there's a photo uploading feature on the new software. I hadn't noticed. Your pictures look excellent.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
Thanks Matt;
I have been thinking the same thing for years... mite as well give this a try....
Skip