Vise advice
The biggest of my three munchkins is starting to hang out in the shop with me more and more... and commandeering my vise.  I imagine this will become more and more of a problem as the other two get tall enough to graduate from their junior sized bench.  We're using almost purely hand tools except for the occasional squaring of stock.  

Would you: 

A.  Add another face vise, on the opposite corner of the bench
B.  Get a Moxon kit, since it would be a nice one to have anyway
C.  Tail vise

And as soon as I do this, I know he'll lose interest and give me my tools back, so that's why the Moxon is even more inviting. 

I'm thinking another face vise is the most practical and affordable solution, but thought I'd seek the wisdom of the collective
Wink
Face vise.

Lucky you to have a shop big enough that you can both work in it.  My shop allows for one worker at a time.
(01-07-2017, 07:36 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Face vise.

Lucky you to have a shop big enough that you can both work in it.  My shop allows for one worker at a time.

I love my shop - so so grateful for it!  It isn't huge (15x15 in the basement), but it is such a refuge.  The focus on hand tools really maximizes the space, and after about 7 years I've finally got it more functional than not.  I've got 3 boys and am really hoping it will be a place for us to spend a lot of quality time as they grow up.
I help my grandchildren use my bench when I am lucky enough to have a few in my shop. If they were more permanent, that would be a problem because my main bench is my main hangout. But there are six other tables/workbenches in the shop. Maybe you could dedicate a small bench to the boys or even find them a workmate. Having their own space would save you some grief and might make them feel more ownership in the shop.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Awesome problem you have. Get a face vise opposite of yours. No brainer.

Put one on their smaller bench too if you haven't already.

I have a 6 and 3yr boys. Shop time is awesome.
(01-07-2017, 10:15 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: Awesome problem you have. Get a face vise opposite of yours. No brainer.  

Put one on their smaller bench too if you haven't already.

I have a 6 and 3yr boys. Shop time is awesome.

Couldn't agree more!  Mine are 10,7,4.  I'll only slant your awesome with, usually awesome.  
Big Grin  Joking aside, it is very exciting to have the oldest show some honest interest in actually learning this stuff along with me.  

Fortunately we have a well built, hardwood, proper, kid sized bench with a face vise.  However, the vise on it is really rickety and not really a good option for the big guy.  
Plus, he is tall enough that my bench is the better option for him (less discouraging, more fun).

I will probably have to upgrade that little bench to a more full sized one soon enough, but it would take another leap of creativity to optimize the space further.
Add the face vise on the diagonal corner from yours for now.

Then have the youngster help you build a Moxon vise along the lines of the one that Derek showed us. It is on his website with the original build and the upgrades. I strongly recommend doing the style Moxon where the handles lock onto the ends of the threaded spindles. You do not wanted the kind where the threaded rods are fixed and sticking out at eye level for the kids.

Then the net addition would be a face vise attached as an end vise on whichever end least interferes with your work.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
^^^^ This!

A Moxon type vise is the twin screw vise you will need seldom. Another face vise mounted in the end position is very useful.

YMWV
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I'm contemplating the same type of thing, never considered adding a Moxon, for one already have one, but in general they do not lend themselves to one hand operation and are too high.

My major decision criteria is related to the ease of installation on an existing bench/functionality, would weight these about the same.....

The Hovarter looks easy to install but it hangs completely under the bench, and cost is high...

My favorite vise is my LN tail vise, also expensive and hard to install, next in line is a leg vise, and depending on type, is medium to difficult to install...

Face vises vary so much one has to be specific on brand/type to talk intelligently about cost, functionality and ease of installation.

With all that said, I'm no help at all, and you've wasted your time reading this ;-) Just rambling about the same topic.....

Let us know what you decide,

Andy
mos maiorum

-- mos maiorum
I would suggest either face vise arranged as a tail vise or some twin screw tail vise.
Moxon vise also sounds good.
Face vise on the opposite side is least practical in my opinion, former options would also benefit _your_ everyday work.

Other possibilities to consider:
* in-line vise (portable, L-shaped jaw), e.g. from LV or Stanley no.700
* detachable shoulder vise (other side of the bench)
* even 12in or 14in handscrew as the vise (to test if additional vise would be really needed)