So there was a saw doctor who posted here...
(01-09-2017, 01:03 PM)DFJarvie Wrote: Bob, do you have any prices for your services? I have a few saws that need sharpening.

Don,

If only sharpening is required, most hand saws are $30 and large mitre saws are $45, plus a small charge to cover shop supplies and files. For other work (derusting/polishing, tote repair, straightening bent plates, etc.), I will provide a written assessment based on the work to be done.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Thanks Bob I'll let you know.
Don
Bob:

Here are photos of the saws I'm considering having restored. This first picture is a photo of the Harvey Peace handle. The next photo is  a picture of the EF Decker. The third picture is the Wheeler Madden. The last photo is of all three saws. Bottom to top in the photo they are the Decker, the Peace and the Wheeler Madden.

Let me know your thoughts. Here or via pm, whichever is easiest for you. I definitely want you to do at least one of them, depending on price, but I'd like your opinion on which one you think is most worthy of restoration, when viewed primarily based on return on investment.

Anybody else who has an opinion, please feel free to share. I tried using photobucket to upload these photos to a PM I sent Bob, but photobucket was basically unuseable. So I posted them here.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
MattP,

You have some wonderful candidates for restoration shown in your post above. Were it me, I would ship them all to Bob for his final evaluation. He can do a much through assessment with the tool in hand. 

There's no one on Woodnet that I trust more than Bob Page. He is one of the most fair individuals with whom I've dealt when pricing work to be done, then delivers absolute top-notch workmanship, and I doubt that there's no one else on Woodnet who has done more business with Bob than have I. You'll be pleased with his work.

r2
+1

Frank S in IA
(01-10-2017, 05:20 AM)lilrichard2 Wrote: MattP,

You have some wonderful candidates for restoration shown in your post above. Were it me, I would ship them all to Bob for his final evaluation. He can do a much through assessment with the tool in hand. 

There's no one on Woodnet that I trust more than Bob Page. He is one of the most fair individuals with whom I've dealt when pricing work to be done, then delivers absolute top-notch workmanship, and I doubt that there's no one else on Woodnet who has done more business with Bob than have I. You'll be pleased with his work.

r2

I agree. Bob repaired and restored a Sargent jointer for me a few years ago. He suggested the same thing, sending all three saws. My issue is financial--I'm looking at these saws as investments as much as anything else. So every additional expense cuts into my profit margin. Some expenses are necessary, like having him restore one. I know that. But I want to keep as much of the profit for myself (actually my wife when I die) as possible. I'm loath to transfer to the post office more of that profit than I have to; the government steals quite enough from me already.
Smile
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
There are others, all Woodnet members, all who offer saw sharpening services.  You can't go wrong with any of these guys.

Daryl Weir ("Sawboy"; One of the best on the planet.)

Ron Bontz (Bontz Saw Works) ("As time permits.")

Isaac Smith (Blackburn Tools) (No longer offering the service - he's too busy making saws!)
Still Learning,

Allan Hill