Drying diamond stones
I had someone tell me not to wipe a paper towel over a diamond stone when drying it because it will eventually dull the stone. Is this something I should be worried about?
Hmm, paper dulling diamonds?

DMT's website recommends storing your stones with a paper towel between them so they don't rub together.

I can see the paper towel clogging the wet stone, but dulling it? Ha.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
Matt, Matt, don't you watch those Brawny paper towel ads on TV?  They're pretty tough, at least according to the ads.
I stand corrected.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
(01-09-2017, 02:51 PM)Bope Wrote: I had someone tell me not to wipe a paper towel over a diamond stone when drying it because it will eventually dull the stone. Is this something I should be worried about?

No, you shouldn't be worried about it.  Unless you very aggressively wipe the stone and the paper towel clogs up the pores.  If the pores are clogged, there's nowhere for the swarf to go, and you would lose effectiveness of the stone.  If that happens, just rinse the stone off with warm water and soap.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Thank for the replies. I didn't think this should be such an issue.
I keep a rag next to the sharpening station. Used the same rag for about a year now. No need to waste paper towels.
(01-10-2017, 09:14 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: I keep a rag next to the sharpening station.  Used the same rag for about a year now. No need to waste paper towels.

My MO as well.
I am always nervous about cross contamination. Any "wiping" I do is on the tool and guides. Yes, guides when I can. The paper napkins are separate for each grit and usually wear out every two tools. The Veritas and DMT plates don't readily bloom red, and swarf(?)-paste has good abrasive that sticks to the plates when dry. Besides, there is very little liquid involved with diamond.
Since water is a recommended lubricant for diamond lapping plates, I simply give them a squirt of Simple Green and then rinse them in hot water.  If you lean them against something, they drip dry....aided by the warmth of the plate; and are dry in a couple of minutes.  Definitely the easiest stones of all to maintain, but it's too bad that they aren't quite fine enough to really polish an edge.  Because of this , I rarely go beyond coarse or extra coarse in diamond plates; but proceed to waterstones or Spyderco ceramics for a keen edge.