Wipe on Poly tempetures?
I want to put the finish on some side panels before I glue them into the frame, but I'm in a cold snap right now. With the heater I can get to 50-55..  but don't want to heat the garages all day either.

I usually use MinWax Poly and thin it 50% and wipe it on.

How cold can it be and still dry without any ill effects?

Thank you...
Dave
Bozeman, MT
If oil base you are pushing it at those temps and it will take a day or 2 to dry at normal strength, I dont have an answer if thinned, I would think less.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

It will cure, albeit very slowly. Check this short article out.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
thanks!
(01-10-2017, 06:49 AM)fredhargis Wrote: It will cure, albeit very slowly. Check this short article out.

The article does not mention oil based Poly at all.
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

(01-10-2017, 02:58 PM)MikeBob Wrote: The article does not mention oil based Poly at all.

Oil based "poly" is oil based varnish, the fact that the world has been trained to call it by the resin it contains (instead of the compound it is) can be confusing.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-10-2017, 04:30 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Oil based "poly" is oil based varnish, the fact that the world has been trained to call it by the resin it contains (instead of the compound it is) can be confusing.

Thanks Fred, I did not know till now. I also did not know if they were using the word Varnish generically or a specific.
Smirk

Build a drying rack for the panels and cover it/them  with an electric blanket.