Caliper question LS Starrett
I was trying to figure out if this caliper is broken. The set screw mechanism and arm were not working I loosened the nut soaked it in Evaporust then scrubbed with sos pad under hot water. I then loosened and oiled the nut and other joints. This is a rather large caliper It measured 12 or more inches from the top to bottom. Any help on what it is will be greatly appreciated.

[Image: Resized_20170111_095746_zpsd0lc91jn.jpeg]

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u9/jo...c91jn.jpeg
Hard to tell from picture, but it looks like the screw is a fine adjustment and the piece on the left broke off from it and is now resting on the other leg. It is an outside caliper and can still be used but might not be as sturdy as before. I use smaller outside calipers when turning on the lathe.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Thinking out loud here: does it show the model number and/or can you read the model number? If you can,  do an internet  search and see what comes up.??
ok thanks I got every little  thing loose and back together so I can get things adjusted again. It is very old was very dirty locked up with surface rust. It was frozen begging the question how long since it was really last in  use. It was in a lot of tools that included a Bluegrass Belknap draw knife and a bow saw all in very unused condition The draw knife is soaking now in Evapo Rust. it looks to have a laminated edge. There is no model number just the LS Starrett Athol mass usa mark. I got the fine adjustment screw back in and it works now. This is a big one for sure Thanks to one and all!
Had one back in the old pattern shop I apprenticed in. The one leg has the fine adjustment. The other leg was designed to be allowed to open and return to a setting. It should have had a tapered seat slot on the short arm. the leg would have had a thread to accept a taper end nut. the two tapers would lock together to return the caliper to the closed setting.