3/4" buried PVC - what is it?
(01-11-2017, 09:25 PM)daddo Wrote: I was going to say drill a hole in it. If it leaks water under pressure- it's a water pipe. If it electrocutes you- it was electric.  If nothing happens- you're back where you started.  
Laugh

You might turn on a facet close by then listen to the pipe with a metal rod with your thumb over the end and touch it to your ear and listen for water running noise.

zactly!
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

what's the drain pipe for?
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy
I was wondering the same thing, what's the corrugated drain tile for? You would never want to dump water at the base of a retaining wall, you want to take it away. And the tile appears to be running up hill and away from the wall so it will not be very effective at removing any water.

Also on my screen the small PVC isn't gray as conduit would be. It looks like potable water pipe so my guess it was a supply line to somewhere for future use.

Of course people don't always use the proper materials so it could be for electric wires.
(01-12-2017, 10:49 PM)oscarMadison Wrote: what's the drain pipe for?

That leads from the foundation's drain tile do draw water away from the base of the foundation.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

It a remote snipe bait depositing pipe.
(01-16-2017, 02:26 PM)rwe2156 Wrote: It a remote snipe bait depositing pipe.

Laugh
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I used 1/2" pvc to run the TV cable from the box to my house. Dug a narrow trench and buried it. Figured it would stop (slow down) a shovel before it cut the cable.    I know, should find out where all lines are before digging but added this as a precaution as it is the only thing running from the other side of the yard. Maybe your former owner had a similar idea.
Some updates. The drain line is/was a combo of lines that pulled water away from the fountain (I believe) and connected to the downspouts. The down hill end connected to the previous wall's drain. New wall has those lines going around the wall and output further down the hill, separate from the wall drains.

The 3/4" PVC paralleled that drain a few feet further up the hill, just past a t-junction in the drain. At that point, it punched a hole through the side of the drain and ended (unclear if there was duct tape involved). No cap, just ended inside the drain. So it was really easy to get out. One of the wall workers dug it up while running new drain lines and later showed me. What it's purpose was, who knows. I'm now more confused. It didn't go anywhere useful to connect to water or electricity or anything else (all that is another 40' away). Only thing I can think is either it was scrap that they dumped/buried, or it was somehow used to align the drain or hold it in place.

This wouldn't be the first head scratching thing I've uncovered.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Tyler
Thanks for the update. More questions than answers sometimes.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(01-20-2017, 08:52 PM)museumguy Wrote: Thanks for the update. More questions than answers sometimes.

this thread has been interesting. I'm going to have to look for opportunities to dump some pipe in a ditch, or run a random wire in my house just to mess with future owners.
Laugh
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy