Another question for Emmert gurus.
Well I have the whole thing broke down and started cleaning up the parts today. The only problem is with the hinge. It appears that the hinge pin is actually two smaller pins. I started to drive the pin out and the other end didn't move. I want to see what the best way to get this thing apart is. I would think I could just drive both pins out from one end but I don't know for sure that the pins will go all the way through. I just don't want to start beating on this thing and mess the hinge up. I would like to be able to get it apart and clean it up but I'm afraid it may be more trouble than it is worth. For the most part it just needs a little wire brush work and some elbow grease. A little sand paper here and there to clean up a few surfaces but most of the important surfaces are pretty clean. Now let's just hope I remember how it goes back together.
Smile

photo 8DA4BA44-566B-4B11-89CF-66341606320F_zpsogcsurwi.jpg
I never took one apart but I do believe they are two separate pins. That leaves you with drill and tap then pull on the bolt threaded into the hole. I would leave it alone and clean that at one piece. The cast iron on these things shatters pretty easily judging by the number of parts I have and people looking for parts.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
I would put some Kroil on the hinge. It might take a few applications, but I haven't found anything better at loosening sticky parts.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
When I clean up old vises, my goal is always to do a complete teardown. Sometimes the vise has other ideas. After I give it my best efforts and fail, I let the vise win. Old cast iron is brittle and sometimes it is best just to let sleeping dogs lie.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com