Lie Nielsen No. 102 block plane
I tried some beeswax--it's what I have handy. The adjuster works better, that's for sure. Thanks for the tip.
I was just pondering where this style of Lie Nielsen adjuster came from.    It's very similar to a Sargent 5206 I saw on 'the auction site':

Chris
Chris
I took Derek's suggestion and ordered a replacement adjuster for the LN block planes that is made by Henry Eckert in Australia.  It has a bearing built into it that avoids the adjust wheel having to rotate in the mortise on the back of the plane blade.  I received it very promptly and at reasonable cost.  It makes a very significant difference in the depth setting of the low angle, adjustable mouth block plane from Lie-Nielsen.  It also fits several other planes, but the LAB plane is the one that really needed the improvement, in my opinion.  It fits perfectly, but the knob is bronze instead of steel.  I highly recommend it if you are not satisfied with the way your LN block plane works.
Does it work on the LN 102? It was my understanding that the improved adjuster worked only on the 60 1/2.
The Eckert adjuster does not work on the LN #102.  That adjuster is much smaller in diameter.  It does work on the skew block and the LA jack and some others that share that size adjuster.  Only my adjustable mouth block was problematic. Here is the link for the supplier: http://www.thetoolworks.com.au/index.php...ount/login Look for the Howard Adjuster on the web page. The US dollar is a bit stronger than the Aussie dollar, so you will get a "discount". Shipping was only $9.00 from the other side of the planet.
(03-03-2017, 03:01 PM)C. in Indy Wrote: I was just pondering where this style of Lie Nielsen adjuster came from.    It's very similar to a Sargent 5206 I saw on 'the auction site':

Chris

Lots of manufacturers used that style.  It's the basic method used on Record's shoulder planes, for instance, although Record uses a nut on a stud rather than a bolt.
Eckert makes several versions of their adjuster. Check their website. Two are made specifically for the small LN block planes. Older 102's use a different diameter threaded post.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Benjamin Franklin
(12-01-2017, 02:47 PM)dave brown Wrote: Eckert makes several versions of their adjuster. Check their website. Two are made specifically for the small LN block planes. Older 102's use a different diameter threaded post.

That is so. I purchased an adjuster wheel for my early bronze #103, and it did not fit - it has a thicker rod, the same as the #60 1/2, which is the current size for the #102. David Eckert (the "Henry" is his son) sent me another, smaller this time. This was sized for the older models. Perfect fit.

[Image: image.jpg]

[Image: image.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(01-12-2017, 09:50 AM)overland Wrote: I just bought a used LN 102 block plane. I'm having trouble with the Norris-style blade adjusting mechanism. It's seems quite rough and and hard to use. It's not smooth at all, compared to, e.g., the adjuster on my larger LV block plane. Does anyone have experience with the LIN 102? I'm not sure what to do. Maybe that's just the way it is with this little guy. In any case it's rather disappointing, given my experience with other LN planes. I wasn't expecting it.
Years ago when LN first made that tool, they used a type of steel for the adjustment screw that didn't work well with the blade..In use, It caused too much friction...LN realized this problem and they retro-fitted new screws for the 102..They also made the new screws available free of charge to everyone who had planes with the old screws...I was one of the recipients...If you contact LN, they will send you a new one which will eliminate the problem you're having.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-02-2017, 10:11 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ....................
Years ago when LN first made that tool, they used a type of steel for the adjustment screw that didn't work well with the blade..In use, It caused too much friction...LN realized this problem and they retro-fitted new screws for the 102..They also made the new screws available free of charge to everyone who had planes with the old screws...I was one of the recipients...If you contact LN, they will send you a new one which will eliminate the problem you're having.

You da Man Jack, good info for the OP.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW