What's worse than being in the cabinet business?
Building a cabinet for a buddy.  What's even worse?
Having him help.

He wanted a paint grade 22" high cabinet built in a completely out of square alcove to hold his TV/audio equip.  I suggested sliding shelves so he can access the equipment without a lot of grief.  The base design is face frame with three partitioned spaces with paired doors.  Overall about 8'6" long and 26" deep.

He said he'd help and he wanted to learn how to make sawdust.  Don't get me wrong.  We're having a good time but its ever so slow.  I like teaching.  He likes learning but he can't grasp the concept of what we're building so I'm constantly sketching or holding up pieces of wood to give him an idea of what it will look like.  Invariably there is a "could we do this?"

The box is built and we're ready to fit a top.  Out of the blue he says his wife wants the top to be stained.  We're using poplar and maple ply.  Its going to have to be a dark gel stain to make those two look good.  I suggest we use maple instead of poplar for the top and I've got some with a bit of tiger so I offer that based on a replacement..  Bad enough trying to cut the top to fit in this out of square alcove and not have to use inch and half scribe.  Four hours today and I've managed to get four pieces cut to band the plywood to fit.  Stop, explain, show him tool safety.  Last thing was we were just going to do a round over the drop front of the top.  He asks to see other profiles.  I pull out four or five and we cut samples on the router so he can decide.  He says he wants his wife to see them and decide.

Just ranting a bit because every step has to be explained.  Still fun to have a shop partner who will sand and sweep and clean up.  Just thinking back when I was partner in a cabinet shop.  We could do a whole kitchen and three bathrooms in three days with the two of us and a helper running a palm sander.

He's gone until Monday but I want to get the box and the top complete so he can go home and paint and/or stain.  Then bring it back and we'll make the doors and sliding shelves.  Hey, I'm not really doing much of anything else, just frustrated at the pace.

Some may recall years ago when I built a large entertainment center for an engineer at work.  This project is very similar to the bottom of this unit.  At the end, we were both speaking through clenched teeth and he was checking the fit with feeler gauges.  Here's a few pics of that one:

[Image: overall1.jpg]
All the shelves were glass with splined mitered corners.  First time his wife saw them, she complained about
how hard they would be to dust.  

[Image: shelves.jpg]

This project the guy put so much equipment in the bottom it was pushing the drawers out.  I had to put a positive latch on them just to close the doors.  [Image: centerdrawer.jpg]

My fault, of course.  Note the flipper doors.
Just looking at these pics makes me PO'd at the engineer all over again.  Glad they never rotated him so he'd be my supervisor.

end rant.  Carry on.
So does he fetch the beer?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I had a friend that liked to work with me while making something together.  Very similar, lots of stopping and explaining and demonstrating.

He passed away a year ago.  What I wouldn't give to have him yapping at me while we once again collaborate.
(01-12-2017, 05:26 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: So does he fetch the beer?

Doesn't drink, not a drop.  I do have a designated driver though.
Sounds like in a lil bit you may need a sober driver
Big Grin
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Good plan.  I'm almost out of Buffalo Trace so maybe I'll head out.
Stable datum # 376.001, "Friends will kill ya"
I call them my "Shop Dogs".

I have had two.  One is gone now (He would actually bring in his comfortable chair and fall asleep while I was working.) and the other one has trouble with the heat in the shop in the "warmer" months.

Both like to watch and see how I figure things out.  I rarely use plans - unless it is something I have drawn myself.  If you have seen some of my projects (marble machine, safe, time machine, etc), you know that I probably spend a bunch of time figuring things out.

I especially like it when they say "How about, if you do it this way?"  Sometimes I need encouragement to get around my preconceived notions and think outside of the box.  Sometimes their ideas work - sometimes - not.

Probably the most difficult issue is moving around them because they are not real sure where they are supposed to sit and not be in the way.  I generally let them figure that out - unless they sit in line with the table saw.  I just show them a couple of holes in the wall and the shaper bit cabinet from launched kick-back items.  They get the point and move off to the side.

I like their company because it is embarrassing to me, when someone just walks into the shop and catches me talking to myself.  
Winkgrin
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
One of my early-on learned rules, no friends, or family, unless they take what I give them with no design decisions other than gross dimensions and general style.  This has worked out for me.   Oh, and they never "help."
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Building stuff for your spouse could be worse.

Luckily LOML doesn't really want to help.  Even though she offers to do stuff.

And it's a blessing and a curse that she gives her opinion.  I like having her opinion so I can make it the way she wants it.  I mean the whole point of me making it vs. just buying whatever IKEA has is so she gets something exactly like she wants. 

The kicker is that she doesn't understand everything below the paint.  Another thing that grates me is she usually mentions a change she wants a step after it's too late. 

Another thing I hate is a hole with drywall on three sides.  I love the fit and look of a built in cabinet, but trying to match up with drywall on three sides & two corners can be a challenge.