What's worse than being in the cabinet business?
Look on the bright side -- at he hasn't told you -- yet -- that you're doing it the wrong way, or "Norm does it like this."

Don't like so-called "helpers", visitors/guests in the shop. They are a distraction and,  in my experience, usually get in the way.

Admiral: agreed!
There is nothing about this situation that I can imagine happening in my shop. 8' cabinet, helper, nothing.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
What could be worse is having a cabinet business that is losing money.  But, maybe it is the same is helping a friend or family member.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I admire a person who can work in the shop and visit and explain their way through it with another.
I have to focus- or should I say "need" to focus on what I'm doing and do it.  I build a plan in my head and once I get started, I'm in my own little world and everything flows until I'm interrupted.
Of course my father-in-law (US Air Force Col ret.) was the type that after 20 minutes of helping him, he would slowly wean himself of the job and you'd find yourself alone and doing it all yourself thinking "How the heck did that happen"?
"What could be worse is having a cabinet business that is losing money.  But, maybe it is the same is helping a friend or family member.'
--A. Eastman

Now that definitely has ring of truth to it!
I have several people come over to help me build something easy for them, and they have all worked out pretty well.  I don't have any firm rules, but i try to have it set up so that they are there at most one day.  I try to get all the major work done in the days or weeks before their scheduled time to help, even down to prefinishing the piece.  I give them very simple tasks -  and best if I do it first in one area, watch them repeat it a few times, and then let them go to town.  Hopefully, they leave with the item by the end of the day,  having felt that they helped.  I also make sure I go over safety rules, and have hearing and eye protection.  I would not dream of having someone help me for as long a period as you did, and if someone dreamed of taking out a feeler gauge,  I would find the hardest, dirtiest, slowest task, and set it to it till they gave up.
(01-13-2017, 09:06 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: I have several people come over to help me build something easy for them, and they have all worked out pretty well.  I don't have any firm rules, but i try to have it set up so that they are there at most one day.  I try to get all the major work done in the days or weeks before their scheduled time to help, even down to prefinishing the piece.  I give them very simple tasks -  and best if I do it first in one area, watch them repeat it a few times, and then let them go to town.  Hopefully, they leave with the item by the end of the day,  having felt that they helped.  I also make sure I go over safety rules, and have hearing and eye protection.  I would not dream of having someone help me for as long a period as you did, and if someone dreamed of taking out a feeler gauge,  I would find the hardest, dirtiest, slowest task, and set it to it till they gave up.

Hand sanding!
Laugh
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
We/I am building this to what his wife imagines.
I sent him home with a couple pieces of wood with edge profiles for the drop front of the top.  He is thinking instead of using a piece of 4/4 for a drop front, we should rip the piece edgewise so the drop front is only 3/8".  I know, as the 4/4 thick cabinet doors are going to be 3/4" under the 3/8" drop front, its going to look unbalanced.  On the plus side, I think I've got him talked into doing some of the shelves as fixed so I don't have to build boxes to fit between the partitions and still clear the doors and hinges as they open.

Its nice to have someone to gab with and mentor.  On the plus side, he's enjoying doing the sanding and dowel drilling and grunt work.
LOML designs what she wants and tells me what she wants it to look like; she doesn't tell me how to build it.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
We're about to assemble the sliding shelves and then make the doors.  My buddy, in appreciation for the mentoring and use of my shop, gave me a brand new, in the box, Samsung 50" 4K TV and set it up for me.  I was appropriately grateful.

Had an interesting mishap.  Its raining and I want to move the stickered lumber on the floor away from the door where water was seeping in.  This necessitated moving a rolling desk I use.  I only moved it inward about 6"

Soon I was cutting a shelf bottom.  Just at the end of the crosscut on the ply, the edge caught the edge of the desk I moved, turning the fall off side into the blade of the TS.  This caused the workpiece, about 30" x 24" to lift up and cant across the top of the saw blade.  It kicked the whole piece back at me and hitting me in the waist.  No harm but the bottom of the workpiece got a quarter circle scar all the way across the bottom as it skated over the top of the blade.  Hands were never an issue as I was using a push stick but it was darn exciting.  The piece is scarred on the B side of the ply and that goes right down to the floor of the cabinet so we can still use it.  My buddy was amazed at how quickly chit happens.  I was too.  Over before I could react.
This was all because I moved the table where it blocked the outfeed by about 2".