Brace bits storage/access designs
Hello Everyone:

One of those sleepless nights that I thought could be put to good use.

Looking for a better way to store and access my brace bits within my tool cabinet, want something that holds them securely and is artistically pleasing. Have several long 18-24 inch bits from 3/8 - 1 1/2" and then a set of Irwin augers.

I'm sure there are many clever designs within this august group of woodworkers that I would have never thought of?

Right now I'm contemplating the old drill holes in a block of wood for each size, and possibly make it tilt out.....is this the pinnacle of design?

Thanks for any input,
Andy

mos maiorum
This is what I did for my braces.  I angled it a bit to the back, and would angle it more if I had to do it again, but they don't fall out so I've not redone it.

[Image: 6187615168_4831261212_b.jpg]
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
It could be me, but I never even considered giving up some of my too hanging real estate to brace bits.  I didn't even have enough hanging space for all my chisels, gouges, rasps, and marking gauges.  Not sure about the long ones, but for the standard size, I love tool rolls.  Hate the boxes, but like being able to pull them all out at once.

If you haven't already done so, do a Google image search for "hand brace bit storage".

The first picture is from someone on lumberjocks who stored them pointy side up but you can still read the sizes.
The next image is someone who hung them in notches, but I don't think that would work on a door - I think the bits would fly off.
The 5th image is the one I like the best - metal clips (like the ones that are in the old boxes) that secure the bits.

If I could figure out how to post pictures, I would have gladly done that.  Some day.

Steve
(01-13-2017, 08:12 AM)Admiral Wrote: This is what I did for my braces.  I angled it a bit to the back, and would angle it more if I had to do it again, but they don't fall out so I've not redone it.

[Image: 6187615168_4831261212_b.jpg]

Very nice, but OP asked about bits.  
Big Grin 

Steve
Like the brace storage, nice and compact, will copy the back angle.....find I use a hand drill and a brace almost every day.

Don't like tool rolls in general, like to be able to view my tools, but don't really use the long bits that often, but do use the standard ones more often than I would have expected. Would probably still store the long ones on the wall.

Thanks guys,
Andy
mos maiorum

-- mos maiorum
Very nice, but OP asked about bits.  [Image: yellowbiggrin.gif] 

Steve

AGGG, my bad.  I keep my bits in their original wooden boxes, as I am an active rust hunter, and I get to keep the best, so I have a full boxed set of Jennings, and of Irwins, both almost NOS --- drive by gloat ---  
Big Grin .

Here's a pic of the Irwins:

[Image: 29165127792_fcd44b38de_b.jpg]
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I'm thinking the tried and true block of wood, but inside some sort of handsome box--not one with a lid, more like a rack. I'm actually planning something like that for my chisels.

Make a cone of wood, drill holes into it at an angle, and poof! you have a carbide tipped xmas tree in the shop all year long.

I'm kidding, of course (unless you're one of Santa's elves), but the point is you don't have to be tied to the square form. Look at one of those round cushy things people poke sewing needles into at all sorts of angles. Carve yourself a little Julius Caesar and have the bits all sticking out of his back.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
Here's the best picture I have of my bit storage.  Look at the green box hanging behind the braces. 

[Image: BraceandDrillHanger-2.jpg]

It's two layers with the big bits in the back and the small ones in the front, each in a separate hole.  It just hangs on a screw, but it could easily be made to swing/tilt out of a tool cabinet. 

The storage is nicely compact and much more convenient than a roll.  The box came with a partial set of bits.  It looks like it was an original box for at least some of these.  It would take some careful work at the drill press to fabricate something similar.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Well, back when the supply of bits was smaller, I made a nice little case..

That I could just close the lid on..

but, after a few yard sales and such, the "head count" was almost to 30 bits!

Decided to make a "book" instead..

That as you open each "page", a group of bits will show up..

whether it be the back page, or..
Inside the front cover ( foam pad didn't get installed)

Or any of the pages inbetween.   Almost like an old Jennings bit case.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I have my braces hanging from strategically placed screws in the exposed studs in my basement shop area. And the Irwin bits live in the box just like Admirals. The Jennings set came in an old oiled canvas roll and remain there. As I think I like the way the Irwin pattern works more than the Jennings pattern, I've just never gotten around to making a box for the Jennings. But still nice to have the Jennings, just so I can say I have a set (anybody else have that sort of relationship with the tools?). Both the box and the roll live on the shelf below the bench.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin