Brace bits storage/access designs
(01-14-2017, 03:47 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: [Image: RJBox1.jpg]

I have that set of RJ augers, mine are in a box of QS sycamore, it's pretty snazzy. It was a company job by the looks of everything else.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Not long ago, I was looking for the same thing. Couldn't find much. I came up with the rack pictured below. I will eventually trim off the overhangs and mount it in a hanging tool cabinet.

As a point of interest, these bids were bright and new some 25 years ago. They were in a plastic pouch. I hung them in a rack - the design of which I can't remember - for a number of years. The rack was on a "wall of tools" in my non-climate controlled South Alabama shop. The bits developed the patina you see in the picture.

Patina looks good on a lot of things, but not auger bits. 

I have a set of Jennings that came to me in the original box. Although the box was all busted up the bits were still bright. I've repaired the box. The Jennings remain bright. I would say if you're auger bits are bright, store them in a small wooden box with an unfinished interior.

[Image: BC619CD4-EF42-4B58-8C16-90941C6D9B80.jpg]
I don't want to brag, but some of my wood is on its 2nd or 3rd project!
Dave:

Thanks for the post, my workshop is not climate controlled, so even here in south TX tools hanging on the wall will rust. I'm trying to get everything in a cabinet of some sort that's still accessible within a few steps.

Went on eBay and found an old auger bit box, had a couple of rusty bits, but the thing was cheap. Combined that with an old cabinet that had to be worked on a little and

Attached Files Image(s)

I originally made this bit cabinet for router bits. But I revised it to hold all my brace bits as well as the many specialty bits I have in my shop

[Image: drillbitcabinet1_zps73fdfe40.jpg]

[Image: drillbitcabinet2_zps221a90cd.jpg]

Since the cabinet door is also a bit holder the storage space is maximized while not taking up more wall space
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?