sharpening
Anyone know why the instructions with the Wolverine jig say to place the brackets 1/2 inch from the front of the bench?  Seems like they could be farther back as long as a chisel handle would be clear when using the flat tool rest.  Thanks for any comments.

Holt
“The front of the base should be flush to the front of the grinding wheel. The base must be approximately 1/2” (or less) from the front
of the mounting board. Once you have the base positioned use three screws to anchor it in place. Use the two end and one middle hole.
These holes are countersunk for standard wood screws.”

Would go with instruction setting up your system. Think will find the learning curve for using the system lot easier.
Bill
Don't know nutin about the Wolverine jig.  Just wanted to say welcome to the forum to another Holt.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Helped my neighbor set up hers today,was very easy.She tried it out and was very happy.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
This is what I did with Lyle Jamieson's help and you can got to his website at lylejamieson.com for the three parts he gave me.

I had trouble for years with my sharpening until he came and redid everything and I had the arm brackets off about 2" from center of the wheel.
Slap  but did not know better back then.

He came to my house 3 times and the first time was to set up my grinder and taught a vet long with me to.

First I do not think it matters at all where the grinder is placed to the front of the edge of the bench.

1. We unscrewed my grinder and the lock brackets.
2. I put the grinder where it was easy for me to grind the tools and then screwed it down but kept it square to the front of the bench
3. We then put the lock brackets centered under the wheels but had to have the long V arm in it to do so.  We also moved the lock brackets so that the V arm and the grinding rest that Robo Hippy gave me could go all the way to the grinding wheel then screwed them down.
4. We put his 2" block down on the right side of the grinder so I could adjust the tool in the varigrind to the 2" mark and locked the varigrind down.  That way only 2" of the tool stuck out from the varigrind and makes grinding repeatable.

At his point we are done and he shows me how to sharpen my tools using the Irish Grind.  Also after finding the right edge of the irish grind I locked down the V arm and put a hose clamp on it for when I removed the V arm to put in the grinding platform that Robo Hippie gave me I can put the V arm back in the exact same place as before.

Lyle also has two blocks he sells (He gave me mine) one that says 10* and the other one 15*.  That way I can sharpen my spindle gouges and still have the V arm at the same place where I put the bowl gouge is placed.  I also use the same 2" block but all I do is put the 10* or 15* block in against the V and then place the varigrind against the block and then I get a more or less a swept back on the spindle gouge or if I want less I put the 15* and I even made a 20* and all of them have rare earth magnets on the one side to stick to the V arm and will not move.

Hope you understand all of this and if not I will take a picture when I can get the camera from my daughter.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.