24" X 36" picture frame
Finished the miter sled and after some fine tuning it works perfectly.  I need to get some hold down clamps for the sled to keep the material from moving.

Frames looking real nice, look forward to seeing it in its final resting place. (First Post, hello everyone)
(01-19-2017, 04:09 AM)Duane N Wrote: Finished the miter sled and after some fine tuning it works perfectly.  I need to get some hold down clamps for the sled to keep the material from moving.

A quick way to do this is to simply screw down an aluminum carpenter's square and slice right through it.  You only have to rest on the rabbet so this works fine.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I finally got it back from the frame shop and mounted it above the fireplace last night.  This picture doesn't do it justice but I'm happy with the results.

Attached Files Image(s)

Great  job!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
That is stunning! I think you may be too hard on yourself.  I find it difficult not to pick apart a project I have just completed and point out all the flaws.  The older I get, the more I realize those flaws are what makes the piece unique.  Besides, most people will never see them, except fellow woodworkers
Wink .  Good work on that frame!
Luke

That is EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
(01-19-2017, 02:49 AM)Duane N Wrote: I plan on doing a thin, metal strap on the back after the framing is completed "just in case" (thank you for the advice on that).  This frame is going to have some weight to it once everything is done and once it's on the wall I really don't want to take it off again unless I find a better print to hang there. 

Sagging of the molding is an issue with thinner profile moldings.  What I used to do was to use a black colored mat board in place of the dust cover.  It looked very tidy and added plenty of strength.  I used an adhesive transfer gun to apply the adhesive, but white glue will work fine.  Then add your screw eyes and wire.

And for goodness sake you spend all this effort to do a fine frame make sure that the frame back reflects your craftsmanship too.  The dust cover should be smooth and tight (after you glue it in place mist it with water and then wipe it dry; it will shrink the paper tight as it fully dries).  The screw eyes should be exactly 1/3 from the top.  The wire when pulled in the middle should split the 1/3 distance in half.  And the wraps that tie off the  frame wire should look like miniature nooses.  Neat and tidy.

Make a "framed by" label and stick it on nice and square.  Add a label that will identify the file location for the image in case you want to re-print it.  You think you won't need the file location but in 10 years when it has faded you will find it very handy to have.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
You did an outstanding job!

I also photograph and build my own custom frames.
Your dental work on your frame has given me some new inspiration.
(02-05-2017, 10:09 PM)wood-chips Wrote: You did an outstanding job!

I also photograph and build my own custom frames.
Your dental work on your frame has given me some new inspiration.

Thanks a lot.  This frame kind of evolved as I built it and it ended up being 4 separate pieces joined together with either glue or wood screws. 

I returned to the frame shop last week to have another print laminated to some backer board and a lady who never met me but saw the first Snowy Owl print and frame asked me where I got the print from and I told her I took the picture and had it printed through my website.  She then asked me where I bought the frame from and I told her I built it for the print.  I guess I don't look like a typical photographer or woodworker and she was impressed with everything.

I think for the 20 X 30 Owl print I'm going to build a frame within a frame.....kind of like a floating frame surrounded by a frame.  This one will be made out of White Ash using some 8/4 stock I picked up a few weeks ago. 

Would love to see what you come up with with your new inspiration. 
Smirk