Cast Iron Maintenance Day....
A coupe times a year, at least. Usually it's just another coat, or two, of Johnson's Paste Wax, but today was "scrub down to the metal and start over" day...

Not the most fun day in the shop, but it sure is worth it when wood slides easily into a sawblade...
Yes
Yes 

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Yeah, nothing like having a super slick surface which offers little resistance for the blade. I used to wax, but I became an instant convert of the LPS system (1,2,3.)

Lubrication and protection is all they do as a business for many industries and their product is amazing. It's not cheap, though not terrible when you realize how long it lasts (and how easy it is to apply!)

Regardless, the clean, slick surface at the end is a pleasure to use AND safer!

michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
If there were a million tiny holes in the top and a high static air blower connected to it, the wood would just float across the top.  
Laugh

I've never used wax before.  Would it work well enough that I could quit using the "come-along" to pull the wood through?
Quote:  I've never used wax before.  Would it work well enough that I could quit using the "come-along" to pull the wood through?

I am a bit surprised that over all the years you have been here you never ran across a Wax it and it will be better thread. 

It is so simple and takes but a few minutes to accomplish and the can of Johnson's paste wax will likely outlast you
Wink 

Wipe it on let it dry wipe on once more the first time and buff it out. 

You will think you are working on a rocket after . 

When things get balky again wipe on another coat. 

And once a year like Dave I will clean off the entire top and start over. 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(01-17-2017, 11:05 AM)JGrout Wrote: ...and the can of Johnson's paste wax will likely outlast you
Wink 

That's the truth!
Yes

My first can lasted almost 20 years - but I didn't have a lot of the bigger tools like I do now. I used almost a 1/4" off the top of a new can yesterday, but it'll still last me a long, long time...
Winkgrin

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
I am a little different.

I made a check list of all my equipment and tools from the Manufactures instructions and be it weekly, monthly, or Yearly I do the maintance except the lathe where I do the bed every month or more often if needed.

I use a high speed sander and use 800 grit to take off everything and clean everything up with acetone and then put the past wax on and then put a felt pad on the high speed sander and buff it all in.  Works great and lasts a lot longer.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I just seen this on Grizzly and wondered if anyone has used it?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Slip-It-...rizzly.com

Slip It, Sil-Free Sliding Compound Gel 1 qt.

Or the spray

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Slipit-L...rizzly.com

It seems like some really nice stiff and would like to try it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Johnson's paste wax is more than adequate to make tool surfaces slippery 

I have yet to find a shop that does not have a can that is used extensively. 

Slip it is IMO an expensive upgrade. 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(01-17-2017, 10:56 AM)daddo Wrote:   Would it work well enough that I could quit using the "come-along" to pull the wood through?

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-17-2017, 10:56 AM)daddo Wrote: If there were a million tiny holes in the top and a high static air blower connected to it, the wood would just float across the top.  
Laugh

I've never used wax before.  Would it work well enough that I could quit using the "come-along" to pull the wood through?

I keep wanting to build a float table. Maybe in my next shop. Lots of holes and ball bearings on light springs. There are commercial parts but I could easily build one.