Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Recently we lost a neighbor due to carbon monoxide in his garage.  Does anyone know of a good detector for a shop?  On line research
has not satisfied me.
Was this from a car exhaust?  I read that modern cars don't put out enough carbon monoxide to do much more than give you a headache.  You need a much, much older car to do that damage.

According to Consumers Reports none of the carbon monoxide detectors do all things right.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/co-an...alarms.htm

You will have to buy at least 2 and use them in conjunction to cover all bases.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
A couple of years ago the fire dept recommended the Kiddie Nitehawk one like THIS.    This will let you know if any level of CO is present not just alarm at a dangerous level.   It will alarm at a dangerous level .    It also records the highest level.   These are widely available.   Roly

A while back I was running a generator in the attached garage with the big door open and a back door open and the door to the house closed and it started to register a few points . It was no where near a critical level but I wouldn't have thought it would show anything at all. I now place the unit by a door with a window fan by the exhaust blowing outside
Supposedly a generator had ran earlier in the day with the door open.  The facts remain obscure as he lived alone.
(01-18-2017, 06:05 PM)10by14 Wrote: Supposedly a generator had ran earlier in the day with the door open.  The facts remain obscure as he lived alone.
Was the death by carbon monoxide confirmed by an autopsies?
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

Even long term exposure well below 35 ppm can cause heart problems in older folks. Every day exposure to even 1 ppm can cause problems.

The digital readout I think is the safest choice.
Yes Carbon monoxide has been confirmed
I have a Kiddle plug in battery back up,combination carbon monoxide,propane detector as I had installed a propane range. So far,reading 0.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
It should be noted that these devices have a limited usage life of about 6 years.  They should be replaced after 5 years.  Put a replace by date on the unit when you install it. (This according to my Internet research)
Kidde claims a 10 year lifespan:

http://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en/us/s...larm_.aspx