Correcting a sharpening mistake
Evidently, years ago, which was the last time I used my LN 62, I sharpened a slight skew into the cutting edge. It's out of square enough to be throwing off my efforts to joint the small boards I'm working on. Just ahundreth of an inch or so.

Probably what happened is that I didn't have it seated squarely in my sharpening jig (Veritas MKII).

Will I be able to sharpen it back into square just by ensuring it is seated properly the next few times? Or is this a job for Mr. Grinder?

FYI, I don't want to use Mr. Grinder if I can at all avoid it, as I made a giant mess out of the last plane blade I tried to grind (fortunately, it was an old stanley No. 4 that I don't really care about).
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
(01-17-2017, 04:23 PM)MattP Wrote: Evidently, years ago, which was the last time I used my LN 62, I sharpened a slight skew into the cutting edge. It's out of square enough to be throwing off my efforts to joint the small boards I'm working on. Just ahundreth of an inch or so.

Probably what happened is that I didn't have it seated squarely in my sharpening jig (Veritas MKII).

Will I be able to sharpen it back into square just by ensuring it is seated properly the next few times? Or is this a job for Mr. Grinder?

FYI, I don't want to use Mr. Grinder if I can at all avoid it, as I made a giant mess out of the last plane blade I tried to grind (fortunately, it was an old stanley No. 4 that I don't really care about).
Yes...but keep a small square handy to check it for accuracy after you set it in the jig.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Matt,  I find it easier to use a coarse stone held at 90 degrees to the edge to get the edge exactly square, then the blade goes into the honing gauge, and I sharpen as usual, and I can see the thick edge getting narrower, once it disappears, I know I am done.
If the error is that small you should be able to adjust it out by tapping the iron left or right.
(01-17-2017, 07:19 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: Matt,  I find it easier to use a coarse stone held at 90 degrees to the edge to get the edge exactly square, then the blade goes into the honing gauge, and I sharpen as usual, and I can see the thick edge getting narrower, once it disappears, I know I am done.

I may do this, because now that I know it's there, it's driving me crazy.
Smile

Thanks, all.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.