Rebate planes
Building a 5 drawer Chest of Drawers,  the stanley #45 has been busy with a sash cutter..

But, I needed to mill just a rebate along the back edges of the corner posts, to house a plywood back.  I dug out the old Wards (Stanley) #78, and tuned it up.   To be fair to the Stanley 45, I dug out the Number 17 plough cutter, and sharpened it up.   Set up both planes for a 1/4" deep by 9/16" wide rebate.   Idea was to make one rebate on each dresser side, and see how the planes did..

The wards 78 went first...
With the 78, it is rough for the lead (left) hand to hold onto.   thumb has nowhere to go, really, but you need it to help hold the plane level, and the fence against the work.   Depth adjustment was done on the fly.  After a couple thin shavings were made, then I hogged out a bunch, and then back to the fine shavings to tidy up.....put this plane aside..

The 45's turn was next...

I didn't quite get the set set just right, wound up with a 1/2" wide rebate...no biggie.   I can correct later. 
The 45 is a bit easier to hold onto, and keep the fence against the work.   It also weighs almost twice as much as the little 78.  
Neither planes' cutters liked the knots along the way, the 78 would power through them, the 45 would chatter as it went through. 
I liked both planes, but the 78 is rather limited as to what it can do, but it does it very well.   The 45 takes a bit longer to set up, and depth changes are NOT doable on the fly, like the 78.

IF all you are doing is rebates, get the 78, if you are doing a lot of other  items like a sash cutter, get the 45.    It will be cheaper to get,, then say a Stanley 55.

twas a fun morning, now, back to the case build...for some reason, the rebate from the 78 got dropped down to the "attachments" space down below this post.

Attached Files Image(s)

Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Nice photos and write up.   While I have a Stanley 45,  I prefer a wooden dado plane for rabbitts -  they work much more smoothly, IMO.
Cool. I'm not a fan of the 78 and its clones. I can get it to work but find it uncomfortable in use. If at all possible, I prefer to use my LV plow plane, and with the wide cutters, I can handle just about any rabbet I would normally cut for furniture work.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Bandit,

Not to derail the topic too much here, but I'd love to see a closer up picture of your brace storage that is in the background of your first picture.
~ Chris
I inadvertently wound up with two irons and two lever caps for my 78.  I keep one in each position, and I find it easier to grip the plane.  Woden, one of the British companies making planes in the last half of the 20th century, offered a knob that fit in the bullnose position:
[Image: IMG_0049.JPG]

Might be possible to make one.

I really like my 78, and use it fairly often.
If I need  to do a lot of work with the #78, I will add a Kevlar glove to the left hand, to protect the thumb. 

I may look into a front knob....and then figure out how to hold the fence against the work.
 Brace till

Started out as just a frame.  Can't remember the angle, right now..
Hmm, this is the frame for the plane till, sorry

There is a chuck keeper across the top..

And then this to keep the braces from rotating around.  Fills up  kind of fast..

So fast, I had to hand a few others in the "overhead"

And, where the eggbeaters hide.   Dungeon Shop has exposed ceiling joists....makes a good place to hang things up...
Made use of the  Stanley 45 today.....not for rebates, this time.   Set up as a plough plane

To make grooves for drawer bottoms to fit into..

Or, drop these "spurs" down..

And it can do dados quite well.....

And, if you (1.  drag the plane backwards a few time, to make the spurs do their job, and (2.  make a few saw kerfs to prevent any blowouts on either end...

You can wind up with a nice dado to set the drawer's back into. 

So far on this chest of Drawers build, the 45 has done....sash cuts, rebates, grooves, dados.    Not sure IF I will need the bead cutters, yet.
Hi,
If woodies are ammitted, I support the English style rebate planes
[Image: 153qo3q.jpg]

They have a skew blade and a nicker and I find them better performer than #45 or #78; work great across the grain too.

Ciao,
Giuliano
The #45 makes great rebates when used with a #78 or #289. First, use a 1/8" cutter in the #45 to cut a groove to use as a shoulder. This goes quickly. Then use the #78 to hog out the waste. Use the existing groove as a corner and as a guide.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Jim, you go full depth with the groove?