ITT we rank our planes!
Heart 
In the past little while, I have been doing a bunch of little projects. I haven't worked up the nerve to try any traditional joinery yet, I'm still working on the basic basics--measuring accurately, sawing a straight line, or fixing it with a plane when I (usually) fail, that sort of thing (hey, a screw driver is a hand tool!). I've knocked together a saw till, the corner thingy to mount my TV on, a combination shelf/clamp rack and a combination shelf/clamping caul storage rack.

So my planes have been getting their first ever real exercise, and the more I use them, the more I appreciate them. Which got me thinking...which is my favorite? After much internal debate, I have decided that they rank as follows:

1. LN Number 4
2. LN Low angle block (103, I think?)
3. Sargent jointer
4. LN 62, LAJ
5. Stanley #3
6. LN Small block plane (102)
7. Stanley shoulder plane (a disappointment)
8. LN spokeshaves (Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em).

The number 4 gets top honors not so much because I think it's the best, but because one of the main things I've been using it for is to cut chamfers in edges, which I have found I really enjoy doing. It was VERY close between it and the low angle block plane, which I admire for its ability to do a tough job (smoothing end grain) well. If I were ranking just on impressiveness, I think the low angle block would have won.

Your turn--favorite plane and why?
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
Interesting. A ranking would be hard for me because my projects lately have been so different. I have hundreds of planes but only dozens of users. Here are the ones I use the most--unranked.

LN scrub, LN #7, LN #140, LN #62, LN medium shoulder
Stanley #4, #608, #605, #289, #72, #93
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Here's a list of the most used:
I use the Clifton 410 and the LN 140 the most to fit machine made parts. The 140 is used on almost every panel I make and it's great going across grain with the skew. The 4 1/2 is the go to smoother, the 7 for edge jointing and the low angle Jack for panel flattening.

Clifton 410 shoulder plane
LN 140 skew block plane
LN 4 1/2
Clifton 7
LN 62 low angle jack
Would be difficult for me also, but would have to say:

Very luck the last couple of years, talked the family into giving LN gift certificates for Christmas, now have a few highly prized, well used offerings...

In fact this year marks a milestone for me, been woodworking for a long time, had a fine collection of hand planes and saws, etc.... that took many year to build, lost most of them after being wounded in 2004 and in hospitals for years. By the Grace of God, I have received more hand tools this year than I have collected in the past 12 years! That might be a bit of an exaggeration but not by much, what a blessed year!

Always using a block plane for something, like the skewed blocks a lot too, use one for all dovetails

LN 51 always on the bench for cross grain shooting

LN LAJ always on the bench now, built a long grain shooting board after getting this plane for Christmas and don't know how I lived without this shooting board, its amazing how many uses this thing fills, tapered legs are a snap, winding sticks in mins, perfect edge banding etc.... (could use any plane)

Scrub

# 7c jointer ( received a gift certificate for a LN # 8 but still on back order, suspect it will replace the 7)

# old wooden jointer, when I want that very special sound/feel

# 5 (also use a wooden rosewood jack a lot, it's very sweet wood on wood)

Spokeshaves get used for chamfering, and breaking edges, plus shaping

LAJ LN pick it up often since it's on the long grain board

# 5 1/2. This is a Woodriver, it's a great plane

# 4 1/2 LN

Have some old infill panel planes and smoothers that get used for large areas on difficult wood

Many project/uses for a plow plane and moving skewed fillister

Hard to think this early in the morning ;-D

Best Regards,
Andy

-- mos maiorum

-- mos maiorum
(01-20-2017, 06:23 AM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: LN scrub, LN #7
I know you said these were unranked, but I think my LN scrub and a Stanley #7 I got from Admiral are my top two planes right now.  I recently bought a #5 from Tablesawtom, but I haven't had a chance to put it to use yet.  I used to think that #3 was the best size, but I don't feel that way anymore.

I can just plane away with that #7 until the parts are too thin, it's kinda fun.
(01-20-2017, 05:43 AM)MattP Wrote: ows:

7. Stanley shoulder plane (a disappointment)
8. LN spokeshaves (Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em).

The Stanley shoulder plane (I'm assuming you have one of the re-release Sweetheart models) should be considered a kit and not a fully functional plane from the box.  If you have the time, there is a video from David Charlesworth (he may be along soon to discuss) that covers how to set up a shoulder plane.  Might be worth your time and a few $$$ to get.

The LN spokeshave is probably NOT the one to use when learning how to use a spokeshave.  Again, assuming you have the Boggs designed model and not the smaller version.  Designed to take only a very fine shaving, it can be frustrating to set up.  Prowl the Swap and Sell section or put out a WTB posting that you would like to get a nice Stanley 151 to experiment with.  Robust, readily available, easy to set.  I'm forgetting the model (153?) that has the adjustable mouth opening, but if you learn to make a 151 function well, you can make any other spokeshave of the bevel down design function well.

As I process some of my stock (that too big or too small for my machines) by hand, I'd say the #5 (heavy camber), #8 and #4 (I have a couple to choose from, each set up differently) are my favorites.  After that the 60-1/2 block plane and my router planes.  For shear, goofy enjoyment of the gizmocity, the combination planes.  For just marveling at the finished surface & profile, the moulding planes.  Little by little, I'm getting better with the hollow-and-rounds to make custom profiles though.  Hope to do more of that this year.

Just got this from LN as my self-Xmas gift and reward for selling a few small projects last year.  Adding it to the stable of smoothing planes. Iron #4 with 50* frog.  Been playing around the past few years with cap-iron setting on my my vintage Stanley and Millers-Falls planes.  It does the trick but sometimes you have to fiddle a couple of times.  Borrowed one of these several times last year and just having that extra 5* on the frog in addition to the close-set cap-iron nails it.  And removes most of the fiddle-factor when deciding how close is close enough on the cap-iron.
[Image: 32423323905_62743867f6_z.jpg]
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I'm not going to rank my planes.  As they say, I love all my children.  That said, I do have some planes that I might not use all that often, but I absolutely love that I have them:

LN Low Angle Jointer:  An absolute beast when flattening large surfaces.  I prefer it over a Jack for that purpose.

Edge Plane:  I do my best when jointing to ensure square edges.  A few swipes with this and I know I'm done.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
#1 Ulmia short jointer, razeed by alex
Tools from a friend are allways superior. ANd this one is superior!

[Image: large?signature=345+1234294100+E51F35C8E...B42D463EB5]

#2"the BUS"
#3 LN 102
#4 Kunz Blacked by Timo
[Image: IMG_0003.JPG]

LV LAJ and BUJ
The first one that comes to hand.
A man of foolish pursuits
Most used

LN rabbit block plane
Stanley 5-1/4 converted to scrub plane

LN 4-1/2
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020