I want to move my mailbox
(01-21-2017, 09:12 PM)ronlaughlin Wrote: No, i disagree, you don't  have to be reasonable.  However,  isn't  it for the best, if one is reasonable?

As long as you're within reason- reasonably so.  
Wink

I find it strange they are so picky about the box placement yet not about putting my neighbors mail in my box or my mail in anothers.
Upset

For important mail, I use my PO box.
We live on a state road. They installed one of those steel breakaway posts.
Hi everyone, I am new in this forum. I am looking for some guidance here. We are modernizing our house exterior and we designed a modern stand for our mailbox. The mailbox is approved box by USPS. We went online and got the USPS measurement regulations (height, inches from the curb etc etc) but we moved it from the right to the left side of our drive way. This was done bc A- the stand it's wider than the spaces I had previously next to my neighbors, as my space is next to a drain. B- because we didn't see anything about not moving it, only required measurements and C- because we went around neighborhood and saw several neighbors that have done this prior to us buying this house. Well,  we built all etc and thought everything was in compliance to USPS until.... today, fist day our Sir/mail carrier delivered the mail and left a note for us saying "the mailbox could not be moved from its original place"???. We certainly do not want any problems and definitely thought we were breaking any rules, but our mailbox cannot be move back again. The bottom of the mailbox stand is now in a nice square concrete slab. Any suggestions? Is there a fee that we can pay for our mistake? We have no idea what consequences this can bring. Any advice and suggestions are gladly appreciated!!! 

Thank you all!
My mailbox is within arms' reach of the road when in the car.  Very convenient for the mailman.  But I have to get out of the car to collect the mail as my arms are not long enough to reach all the way in.

But come winter the snow plow pushing the snow up against the post and has pushed enough snow one year to knock it over.  So too close to the road is an issue too.

And close to the road makes for teen batting practice possible too.

Super strong posts and brick or stone enclosures (seen locally) are not permitted by the post office and might make you liable for injuries in a crash.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Yeagor,
I think you're going to have to go to the post office and talk to the postmaster.

Be apologetic and admit you shouldn't have moved the mailbox without their okay, and they might help you
(07-25-2017, 08:57 AM)EricU Wrote: Yeagor,
I think you're going to have to go to the post office and talk to the postmaster.

Be apologetic and admit you shouldn't have moved the mailbox without their okay, and they might help you

^^^^^ What he said, there isn't apparently a method to buy your way out but a reasonable person (maybe even your carrier) should realize the dilemma. I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread, when I moved mine (which was a few feet from where it was, i first asked the carrier and she had no problem with it at all. But in my case, the carrier is one of the contractors the USPS uses for rural delivery; it might not have worked out that way had it been a USPS employee.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-20-2017, 08:57 AM)EricU Wrote: For some reason, the sewer line goes to the left of the driveway, which is probably where I would put it if I had full freedom.
If you live in snow country, the sewer at the end of your driveway has got to be low enough that you can plant a mailbox over top, no?
Just consider how low the sewer is when it exits your house, and it ain't pitched upwards.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
I haven't moved mine yet.  Going to have to catch the mail person and see what they say.  It's about time though, the newspaper box just fell off the post.

I think I'm going to use one of the metal post holders that they sell at the borgs.  Should make it a bit easier.  Hopefully it wouldn't puncture the sewer line if I get unlucky about placement
Hi EricU, thank you for the advice. The same night I wrote this, we had left a very nice and very apologetic letter to the Sir/Mail carrier. We explained that we did all these base on the USPS papers from their website, and that we had no idea moving it was going to be a problem, we apologized etc etc etc. He was super nice and wrote back to us, that our mailbox was really nice, that he has no problems with it, but if a supervisor passes by and request to move it back, we must comply. He also said, he noticed that it's going to be imposible, because the space we had the old mailbox is next to a rain drain and there is no space for our new one. Again, he says with him, we are ok. I wrote back, thank you for letting us know, we hope your supervisor doesn't come or miss our house but we will cross that bridge when it comes.

Question, should we wait? Or should you all still think we should go and ask to speak to the supervisor?

Thank you for the advice!
Hi I wanted to quote you and EricU but didn't know how to ?. I asked your opinion also on my post. Thanks in advance for the advice.