Any tips on wire nutting three 10 guage
(01-22-2017, 10:43 PM)Cecil Wrote: Thanks Phil.  I just did some quick research.  I believe I am done with wire nuts.

Be careful with the Wall-nuts, they use a spring edge clamp that is not reliable. It's rather like the push-in wire terminals on receptacles.

I generally like Wago products, but we have had far too many failures with the Wall-nuts to continue using them.  Our local inspectors won't pass them.

Using wire nuts, twisting the wires to make the connection before applying the nut, and applying the nut to the correct torque will result in a reliable and lasting connection.
(01-23-2017, 10:59 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: For those that think the wagos simply fall off lol, actually do your own test and fully install one. Push the wires fully to the top of the clear plastic. Then try and remove it.

That was part of my concern, that they pull off "easily" by hand.  A less careful electrician can pull one off just trying to push the wires into a box.
(01-24-2017, 12:22 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: some don't think they can handle the amperage.

The important difference is that with a WallNut the device is carrying current and making the connection.  A wire nut is a mechanical device to insulate and secure the connection.  Since the wires are carrying the current and not the wire nut, it's a more reliable connection.
(01-23-2017, 02:41 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: I think anyone that has actually used these will know that the wires aren't going to simply fall out, especially "far too many times."

To remove a conductor, you have to twist them back and forth as you tug on them, and it chews the wire up something fierce when you do so.  And that is solid, once stranded is in there, it isn't coming out, you have to cut the wire.

(01-25-2017, 01:48 PM)geek2me Wrote: Be careful with the Wall-nuts, they use a spring edge clamp that is not reliable. It's rather like the push-in wire terminals on receptacles.

I generally like Wago products, but we have had far too many failures with the Wall-nuts to continue using them.  Our local inspectors won't pass them.

Using wire nuts, twisting the wires to make the connection before applying the nut, and applying the nut to the correct torque will result in a reliable and lasting connection.

I will keep using wire nuts as the for the Wago stuff heat and springs are a bad combo IME
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(01-26-2017, 12:59 AM)Bob10 Wrote: I will keep using wire nuts as the for the Wago stuff heat and springs are a bad combo IME

Me too. Blue scotchlocks can not beat them for a secure connection when done right as with any wire connection.
John T.
(01-25-2017, 01:48 PM)geek2me Wrote: Be careful with the Wall-nuts, they use a spring edge clamp that is not reliable. It's rather like the push-in wire terminals on receptacles.

I generally like Wago products, but we have had far too many failures with the Wall-nuts to continue using them.  Our local inspectors won't pass them.

I keep reading the same sort of stuff about push-type connectors and it seems like the writers often think this is something new, but they've been using them elsewhere quite a while now.

While the clear insulator is relatively new, those same spring contacts (which have quite a bit more surface area than a backstabber receptacle, BTW) have been around for decades.  They don't (typically) use wire nuts in Europe, it is either screw-type of push-type connectors.

Seriously, if the technology wasn't sound, Europe should be burning to the ground by now.

I have nothing against wire nuts.  Except for stranded to solid.  I'm not a fan of stranded to solid in a wire nut, I'd much rather use a Wall Nut if the stranding pattern allows.  If the stranding is fine, then a Lever Nut.
Phil how many wood houses have you seen in Europe?  I would bet about the same number you see in Mexico.  Not a lot
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(01-26-2017, 12:21 PM)Bob10 Wrote: Phil how many wood houses have you seen in Europe?  I would bet about the same number you see in Mexico.  Not a lot

So you're saying that they do routinely fail, but nobody cares because their houses are built entirely from non-combustible materials?  They just replace the bad ones with another (identical) unit and go about their days?

Keep in mind there are guys out there that say they tried them for a few jobs and got call backs because they failed, and other guys out there that say they are using them by the thousands and never had a single failure.

At the rate these things have been used, if a handful of jobs resulted in even a single call back due to a push connector failure, we'd be seeing widespread problems.

But we aren't.
How long have they been making these?  They still sell back stab devices yet over time most acknowledge they have failings.  I don't want to argue with you I am mostly trying to keep you from having problems.  If you believe I am crying wolf you are free to do what you want.  You questioned my statement far too many failures, someone else in the field reiterated it and added inspectors in his area won't allow the use.  Again you are free to do what you want

Phil Thien

(01-26-2017, 01:11 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: At the rate these things have been used, if a handful of jobs resulted in even a single call back due to a push connector failure, we'd be seeing widespread problems.

We do see widespread problems with these, maybe you are looking in different places.

Where in Europe are they used?  Apparently not in Italy, Poland, Germany, or UK, according to our FAEs.