Flashlights?
I climbed the three volcanoes in Mexico in about 1980 or so.  Back then they were "extinct"; now they are active and cannot be climbed.  

I ordered a headlamp with nicad batteries which had to be sent ahead by UPS ground as they were not permitted on aircraft for fear of explosions. (Really.)

As I recall the lamp cost about $150.00.  And the spare battery was about $25.00.

According to he Consumer Price Index calculator that works out to be $436.91 in today's dollars for the lamp, and $72.82 for the extra battery.  And I abandoned the batteries in Mexico so I could fly back with the lamp.  I never did use it again though.

$29.00 for two lamps sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

P.S.: One of the climbers pee'd into the volcano when we reached the summit.  I'm pretty sure that is why they are not "extinct" anymore.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
i still have flashlights, but have started using my Milwaukee M12 & M18 LED lights more. The batteries stay charged and the different lights offer different kinds of light.  I like the lanterns because they have different light patterns. Milwaukee 2362-20 M12 12V Cordless Lithium-Ion Lantern/Flood LED Light and you can run your cell phone or tablet off it. They have some new ones now, that I may have to try. I just have to stop taking it out of the car or truck to use in the house.
Sarcasm Dan