Flashlights?
(01-25-2017, 11:43 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I've practically abandoned regular flashlights and now use those LED headlamps.  Being able to have a light that is hands free is just so much more convenient for me.  They fit in the glove better box too.

While I have not abandoned flashlights altogether, you are right.  I have one in the house and one in the workshop.  I need to get one for the car.
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
Nebo Big Larry.  I have several of these and had good luck so far.  Two light settings - 400 / 140 lumens and a flashing red light.  Nice strong magnet in one end.  About $20 delivered.  Nebo also makes the Larry C (Little Larry) - 170 lumens.  Smaller with a clip.  About $8-$9.

Lonnie
I've had good luck so far with the Feit flashlight set that Costco sells.  The biggest in the set is claimed to be 1000 lumen (I kind of doubt its really that). ~$37
Feit Flashlight set

The Stanley Fatmax 900 lumen spotlight that lowes (and other's sell) is pretty darn bright. Though its a bit big to lug around all the time. This is my coyote spotter when they're out in the middle of the night. $~50
Stanley Fatmax

Costco has a 2 pack of the Coast FL70 headlamps that are claimed to be 400 lumen.  They're pretty bright and useful to have stuck on your head.  (Costco item#1087612 not on their website) ~$29 for two.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

another vote for headlamps.  I have some really nice ones, because my mom was a caver, but there are inexpensive led headlamps that work too.
I got some of these for the house and cars.  Excellent price/performance. They put out a great amount of light, fit in the hand well and don't roll around when put down on a flat surface. Plus I'm not out a hundred bucks if the batteries leak. Only downside is no bragging rights for having the most he man flashlight....

Dorcy Flashlight

For the flashlights in the cars I use lithium batteries which can handle temp extremes better than alkalines. They also have a longer shelf life.
Joe
I'm a fan of the lighted baseball cap.

https://www.amazon.com/Panther-Vision-4-...s=powercap

It is not as bright as a dedicated light but it is sufficiently bright for almost all the things that crop up unexpectedly.  I use it to retrieve the mail from my completely dark mailbox.  

I use it to make sure I don't step on dog poo when I walk my dog.

I use it to search for stuff in the trunk of my car.

I even use it to do some reading.  

Most people don't notice it.  I bought a pack of 12 batteries but I suspect that I will wear out the cap before I use up the batteries.  I give it maybe 10 minutes use daily (maximum).  But very handy basically because it is almost always at hand (at head).  

If I were doing a lot of work that required both hands free I would get a headlamp.  I do have two Surefire flashlights, one which I almost always carry on my person.  But the hat is handy; I would not go without it.

Note:  I had the rechargeable version first but it was not a good deal.  The battery powered version + 12 batteries lasts longer than the old cap.  And the rechargeable one was made from very light nylon fabric that offered no insulation and didn't breath.  And it got dirty in a hurry and you could not clean it.  

Get a dark colored cap that will look clean all the time.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(01-27-2017, 09:45 AM)Cooler Wrote: I'm a fan of the lighted baseball cap.

LOL, I got one for Christmas. Have not used it yet since I thought it would make me appear more geezer like than I already am.
The hat almost never gets noticed unless I click on the lights.  The rechargeable one was very geeky and not a good deal.  

I misspoke on the 12 pack of batteries.  It was a 20 pack of Sony batteries for under $9.00.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008XB...UTF8&psc=1
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
The Coleman flash lights are worth the cash.  They seem to have a better switch. Inexpensive flashlights with the on off at the opposite end from the light seem to have the switch become inop often.  
The LED Mag light is expensive; turning the front assembly by twisting clockwise or counter clockwise works the switch.  My  Mag light on/off switch became intermittent then inoperative.  It was fixed it by stretching the spring a bit.
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
(01-26-2017, 06:11 PM)meackerman Wrote: I've had good luck so far with the Feit flashlight set that Costco sells.  The biggest in the set is claimed to be 1000 lumen (I kind of doubt its really that).  ~$37
Feit Flashlight set

The Stanley Fatmax 900 lumen spotlight that lowes (and other's sell) is pretty darn bright. Though its a bit big to lug around all the time.  This is my coyote spotter when they're out in the middle of the night.  $~50
Stanley Fatmax

Costco has a 2 pack of the Coast FL70 headlamps that are claimed to be 400 lumen.  They're pretty bright and useful to have stuck on your head.  (Costco item#1087612 not on their website)  ~$29 for two.

another vote for the feits.  bjs has a 2-pack of the medium light (500 lumens) for $25 - $30.  things are BRIGHT!!!  
Yes
Yes