Lacquer Fading Off My Kitchen Cabinets
I built my cherry cabinets for my kitchen about 8 years ago. I finished them with 4 coats of lacquer with a sprayer. Now I have noticed that on a lot of my cabinet doors, the lacquer is gone or very thin.
What are the steps to relacquering these cabinets? I'm not going to remove them but I plan to refinish them inside the house with adequate ventilation.
Do I need to sand them then recoat? I just cleaned them.

Eddie
IME they need to be stripped or at least sanded very aggressively
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(01-25-2017, 09:35 AM)JGrout Wrote: IME they need to be stripped or at least sanded very aggressively

Yup ditto. 

That's a pretty common issue with lacquer in wet, damp,moist or areas that get cleaned on a regular basis. A small box i made for loml did that too because she decided the counter in the bathroom was a good place for it. That's why I use automotive Clearcoat on cabinets. Much more durable.
I made my kitchen cabinets in 2000 and when I sold the house in 2016 I gave the bottom cabinets a fresh coat of lacquer.  All I did was use wipe them down with a dewaxer in case furniture polish was on them.  Gave them a light sanding, wiped down again and sprayed fresh topcoat.  Turned out just fine.  Lot easier than stripping and refinishing.
Got any pictures?  I think the answer depends upon how they look.  If they are worn through to bare wood in spots then I would think stripping (or sanding as a distant second) is the only real to getting a uniform result.  If they are just worn thin, with no bare, peeled, or cracked areas, then a good cleaning and light sanding should be sufficient.  

Regardless, if you plan to stay in this house and keep the kitchen, I would not use plain lacquer for the recoat.  I'd use catalyzed lacquer or some other more durable product.  Personally, I would not spray solvent based finish indoors, though I know it's done all the time and people live to tell the tale.  I'd use a WB topcoat.  General Finishes EnduroVar and Enduro Clear Poly are two I know well that are very durable. 

John
Scuff sand and respray.

Lacquer is not for kitchen/bath cabinets.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

There's only a couple spots where bare wood is showing through. The problem is that this was my first major spraying job and I obviously didn't do a great job like I can now. There's a lot of areas that are thin.

I thought I was doing the right thing by using lacquer since I asked people on various woodworking forums.
What is the main finish that people use for kitchen cabinets?
I don't do many kitchens but I use M.L. Campbell pre cat Magnamax a lot.

https://www.mlcampbell.com/products/magnamax
I have had excellent results with General Finishes High Performance Top Coat.
“It is easy to be conspicuously 'compassionate' if others are being forced to pay the cost.”  ― Murray N. Rothbard
(02-04-2017, 08:28 AM)Goatman Wrote: I have had excellent results with General Finishes High Performance Top Coat.

Great product - but not for kitchen cabinets.  It has very poor chemical durability.  I'm repairing a couple of kitchen doors right now that I used it on before I knew that.  Something greasy got drooled down them and ate right through the finish.  GF's EnduroVar or Enduro Poly are far more durable products. 

John