upgrade from Delta 9" 34-600?
While the newer saw doesn't have as much character, its going to give you a little more cutting capacity as well as working surface.  The fence should transfer over without much fuss.   Just make sure you check the newer saw out and make sure all the functions work well.  Check the tilt all the way to the stops and the blade elevation.  Bring a combo square with you and check for blade tilt and square when at 90 and 45.  You could also check for run out, but if you do it with the blade on, it may be the blade or flange and not wear in the arbor bearings.  You could slip off the belt and listen to the motor run by itself, that will let you hear if there is anything funky going on with the motor without the noise of the saw blade spinning.
Rockwell International era. Probably was new in 1977. The motor is probably not a Baldor (Baldor supplied them for some duration before then), but I don't think much else was changed.

As long as nothing is broken, it should be a keeper.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I believe that particular saw is one step above the Rockwell/Delta contractor saw.  They came standard with cast iron wings whereas the contractor saw did not.  I think also have a beefier front and rear trunnion connecting bridge that is a solid piece of cast iron instead of the round bars used in the contractor saw.  I think the street price for that saw was somewhere around $1000 when it sold new.

Barring any broken/missing parts, that saw is a real keeper. It should be a good replacement for your 9" contractor saw.

Greg
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Whelp its mine now, 34-429 with cast iron wings. Needs a cleanup, so much bigger than my saw and has a 1 1/2 horse motor. Will post pictures soon.
(01-28-2017, 06:06 PM)gregr Wrote: I believe that particular saw is one step above the Rockwell/Delta contractor saw.  They came standard with cast iron wings whereas the contractor saw did not.  I think also have a beefier front and rear trunnion connecting bridge that is a solid piece of cast iron instead of the round bars used in the contractor saw.  I think the street price for that saw was somewhere around $1000 when it sold new.

I think you called this one right.  The parts pages for the 34-429 show the CI 'bridge' section, rather than the tie rods used in most of the contractor type saws.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Motor is a leeson 1 1/2 hp motor. Sanded stains and rust out of the top and waxed it. Loads heavier than my 34-600. I think I can transfer the tilt scale over to keep some character. I duplicate outfeed extension my grandpa put on my old saw but upped the dimensions. Haven't transferred the biesemeyer over yet but looks to be a direct bolt on unlike it was on the 34-600. I plan on keeping the old saw regardless. It's funny, I'll feel somewhat strange not using it. Maybe it's because it wasn't my grandpas saw. The large table is nice on the new saw, and the power, it's quiet but not as quiet and vibrates a little more. Must be the power difference.
(02-06-2017, 12:45 AM)betamax Wrote: The large table is nice on the new saw, and the power, it's quiet but not as quiet and vibrates a little more. Must be the power difference.

Vibration might also be from the belt.  I use cogged 'AX' belts, but some folks like link-type belts.  Also check that the sheaves are tight on their shafts, and run true, and that the motor itself runs without vibration (support the motor, pop the belt, and run it). 

And don't forget to align the blade to the miter gauge slots.

Sounds like you got a nice saw there.  
Yes
Cool
Tom

I went to harbor freight and got a link belt for $30. Seems to have made a world of difference. Motor is silky smooth with no load at all. Now comes the difficult dicision of what to do with the old saw.
Stupid question but I have what I think is proper belt deflection but the motor does bottom out on the bracket, is that ok?
Finally transferred over the fence and got it aligned. I did move over the tilt scale from my old saw for a familiar feel. The hand wheels do fit but are too bulky to allow for the tightening screw to fit top. I did duplicate the outfeed and side wing table like grandpa did on his saw.

Attached Files Image(s)