I don't like plastic saw handles
Think they'd be much happier with a well shaped wood handle

https://youtu.be/lTC4po-BywA
"Have a very small amount of things to work with." Henri Cartier-Bresson
Plastic? Wood is a material made up of long chain molecules that we call polymers. That's a technical way of saying plastic.

HDPE just is another polymer material.
(01-26-2017, 07:19 PM)fletcherj Wrote: Plastic? Wood is a material made up of long chain molecules that we call polymers. That's a technical way of saying plastic.

HDPE just is another polymer material.

I'm sure you're saying this tongue-in-cheek.  That said...

All plastics are polymers, but not all polymers are plastic.  Cellulose is neither moldable nor malleable, which is a key property of plastics.  DNA is a polymer also, but it's not a plastic.

I like the feel of wood handles better also - as long as they are shaped properly.  I prefer the plastic handle of a Cosman dovetail saw to some of the bulky wood handles like on the Pax saws, simply because the Cosman handles are shaped better.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
my neighbor was selling his dad's tools, and he had a saw with a Bakelite handle.  It's actually the best one of the bunch.  They were all pretty low-end saws.Think he was selling them for a quarter.  I missed out on the good stuff, took me a while to go home and get my wallet and in the interim someone came and bought most of the tools.
Just thought the user in the video would like a nicer saw
"Have a very small amount of things to work with." Henri Cartier-Bresson
that's very thoughtful.  Probably needs to be sharpened
Allan-bought a Pax sash saw from "The Best Things" a few years back. Less than half the cost of the boutique makers and easily their equal. Had a walnut handle, easily reshaped in about an hour or two, including applying some BLO that matched prior finish perfectly. I view Pax as an "unknown known" for excellent tools at great prices, though some user fitting may be needed.

I've also taken a rasp to several other saws (one was a LN custom made miter box saw) to fit to my hands, as I've done to totes on hand planes.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
For that reasons I got that
[Image: 100_1358.jpg]

and did this
[Image: 100_1368.jpg]

and finally
[Image: 100_1369.jpg]

and like it that way
[Image: 100_1370.jpg]

what about you?
EricU: Disston put bakelite handles on some of their saws, including the higher end D95. Those saws were two-tone, in a variety of combo colors. a D95 for a quarter is a real buy (in my accumulation, I have at least one of each color combo).
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Yuri, that's a nice clean trade off in handle.

As for the clip, I don't think I want strangers on my porch doing monkey business.