Garage Door: Torsion Spring vs. Extension Spring
Need to replace my garage doors; contractor grade, lowest bidder, you know the drill; been 15 years but the doors are getting really cranky to operate and are very noisy, so its time to replace.  I'm not considering DIY, going to hire installation out.  Bid I got has torsion spring option for an additional $35; I've always had the side extension spring version.  Is it worth the dough to go with torsion spring?  thx.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Only torsion springs. There is no other choice. And yes, hire out the whole thing. Garage door guys work cheap.

What opener, if any? I'm very high on Liftmaster jackshaft openers. Expensive, but worth it.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Torsion springs eliminate the interference caused by extension springs hanging beside the runners.

If/when a torsion spring breaks, it is contained and simply breaks, no sections flying around endangering people/vehicles.
I'm surprised they even offer the extension spring option anymore.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(01-28-2017, 01:59 PM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I'm surprised they even offer the extension spring option anymore.

Me too, extension springs can be real detrimental to you and or vehicles.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

(01-28-2017, 01:28 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: What opener, if any?  I'm very high on Liftmaster jackshaft openers.  Expensive, but worth it.

I have Overhead Door Phantoms installed already, they were top of the line when I bought them, still working fine.  Its the doors (and the original installation) that suck.  Door guy said the openers were just fine.

Thanks to all for your views; I'm going with the torsion.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-28-2017, 02:55 PM)MikeBob Wrote: Me too, extension springs can be real detrimental to you and or vehicles.

Same here. Had Had a 16x7 wood door ie frames were 1.5" cedar with ply panels(common door in the 80s here) very very heavy with very thick extension springs. Had two of them break on different occasions while I was in the garage. They will scare the crap out of you. 
         That door had two springs on each side and they were quite hard to get replacements heavy enough for it as modern doors are lightweight. Even though I ended up changing all of them the new springs had more issues than the old as one would break every few years. 

So yeah torsion spring. Safer to have and it takes up less room. And jackshaft openers are the only way to go. Reliable, quiet, take up less room though they are expensive. If you are in an area that sells Wayne Dalton openers run from them... They are a small regional company and lots of quality issues.

The previous owners put extenextension spring doors in the shop when they built it and I hate them... The shop should have hanger  doors.
Bill said: I didn't even think the extension springs were available any more. They can be a real surprise when they let go.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-29-2017, 07:52 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Bill said: I didn't even think the extension springs were available any more. They can be a real surprise when they let go.

So can a torsion spring makes one He77 of a bang
I'm sure a torsion spring makes a good noise, but the extension springs can kill you.  I assume that's when people are up on a ladder adjusting the springs for the most part, but it doesn't seem to be that great of an idea anyway. I don't know if it's related, but when we had a garage door with extension springs, we had to call in repairmen every couple of years.  I installed the torsion spring in this house, and it has been much more reliable.