Are table saw miter guages pretty much universal?
I don't think you can wrong with an INCRA 1000SE. I have been using one on my SEARS CRAFTSMAN TS for many years without any difficulty. I even built a sled for it.
[Image: IMGP0107_zps72391fa4.jpg]
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

Whether it be for a miter gauge, or a sled Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene can work, provided your working temp is less than 92*. According to the nice folks at US Plastics at or around that temp it becomes more noodle like, then it stays stiff. As you lengthen it's span it becomes worse, but for well supported non moving parts it works well as a substitute for much cheaper Baltic Birch plywood. Using QS grain Hard Maple I have never noted that.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(02-10-2017, 02:15 PM)Steve N Wrote: Whether it be for a miter gauge, or a sled Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene can work, provided your working temp is less than 92*. According to the nice folks at US Plastics at or around that temp it becomes more noodle like, then it stays stiff. As you lengthen it's span it becomes worse, but for well supported non moving parts it works well as a substitute for much cheaper Baltic Birch plywood. Using QS grain Hard Maple I have never noted that.

UHMW is a great product, but in this application, an unsupported bar for a miter gage, I don't think it's the correct material. UHMW will absorb moisture and swell, is fairly soft and easily damaged and just not stiff enough for the intended usage.

If the user absolutely wanted a plastic, I would lean toward Delrin (Acetal). McMaster Carr sells bar stop that should be easy to machine in a woodshop for the intended purpose.

If it were me, I would use hardwood. As you mention, hard maple would do nicely and would be stable, strong and stiff enough for the purpose.

cheers,
chris