Fireplace mantel
A friend of mine has asked me to build a mantel for an existing fireplace that has just had a gas insert installed. He tells me that the fellow who installed the insert told him the mantel needs to be noncombustible. This doesn't make sense to me. If I'm reading the national fire code correctly, a wood mantel needs to be a minimum 6" from the firebox opening plus an additional 1/8" for every inch it protrudes from the wall. Obviously there are other materials that could be used if necessary, but can anyone shed some light on this for me?
I would read the installation instructions that came with the gas insert just to make certain about clearances but it doesn't make sense to me either.  Our local code inspectors always revert back to the installation instructions if there's any question about clearances.
Well, we have 2 Heat N Glo gas fireplaces (circa 1998), and I'm looking at the manual. While not saying anything about placement of a mantle, it does say: "Combustible materials may be brought up to the side and top front edges of the fireplace, but must NEVER overlap onto the front face". I think if it's required to have a non combustible mantle, it's a local code thing. Our mantles are both wood, and they are both at least 6" above the opening. Don't know it that helps, but it's what I have.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I appreciate it gentlemen. Good idea to look at the install manual. I hate to admit checking the instructions never occurred to me. Must be a guy thing!
(01-30-2017, 09:37 AM)ed kerns Wrote: I appreciate it gentlemen. Good idea to look at the install manual. I hate to admit checking the instructions never occurred to me. Must be a guy thing!

I am meeting with a mechanical inspector tomorrow to look at a dryer vent I installed in a commercial building and I will ask him this question just to see what he says.  He's very patient with me and willing to answer any questions I have as long as he's not in a hurry.  I'm fairly certain he's going to say revert back to the installation instructions but maybe there's something else he's run into with gas inserts that is being overlooked.
Thanks Duane!
The mechanical inspector never showed up today...they were a man short. Hopefully tomorrow I can ask him if I'm there when he shows up so I'll reply here is he says anything.
The mantel can be combustible. The Lentil can't be - with the exception of "Zero Clearance" manufactured inserts. Zero Clearance inserts can actually have wood touching them.

Anything combustible within 6" above the firebox opening, can't stick out more than 1-1/2" from the face of the fireplace (not to be confused with the face of the insert)

Anything sticking out more than 1-1/2" must be at least 12" above the firebox opening.

This includes fireboxes with inserts in them.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(01-30-2017, 04:08 PM)Duane N Wrote: I am meeting with a mechanical inspector tomorrow to look at a dryer vent I installed in a commercial building and I will ask him this question just to see what he says.  He's very patient with me and willing to answer any questions I have as long as he's not in a hurry.  I'm fairly certain he's going to say revert back to the installation instructions but maybe there's something else he's run into with gas inserts that is being overlooked.
I always had a code question for the inspector. It didn't need to have anything to do with the job being inspected. It made him feel important so he didn't need to invent some nitpicking thing to write up.
Rolleyes

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
(01-31-2017, 07:05 PM)Foggy Wrote: I always had a code question for the inspector. It didn't need to have anything to do with the job being inspected. It made him feel important so he didn't need to invent some nitpicking thing to write up.
Rolleyes

When I had my remodeling business I found there were 2 types of inspectors, the ones that could not cut it in there trade, became an inspector and beat there chest and nick picked to try and let you know how much power they had.
The other ones were great in there trade and wanted less physical work as they got older, they did not beat there chest, and were very liberal on things and helpful when needed for info on how can I make this happen whiten code.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk