Upstairs remodel
(02-17-2017, 06:06 PM)doobes Wrote: I would a put electric heating grid under the tile. I did this when I did mine, and it's 'da bomb.

It's not cheap, but LOYL will love it everytime she walks on it, and you know what that means!  
Winkgrin

I got mine from https://www.thermosoft.com/en-US/radiant...or-heating

What was the coldest room in the house before, because of the Northeast exposure, is now one of the warmest.

Not in the budget. We're in Pasadena Md. and we won't be here forever. We have one (maybe two) more moves. We'll already be pushing the envelope for over building (spending) for the neighborhood. We don't expect to make much off the renovation. We'll make some and it will certainly help move the house fast. Fortunately, it's the top floor and warm. The bathroom is 12 x 12 with two heating ducts.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I joined the John Bridge tile forum seeking advice. I need to build a shower and can't wrap my mind around the price of a door. The Lovely Mrs Snipe Hunter wants this door. Traditionally, you build the shower and the glass company comes out, takes measurements and cuts one to fit and installs it.... $2800. I don't have that kind of bread. The pre-fab unit is about 1/3 that price but there's only 1/4" plumb and width tolerance and if you screw it up, you own a boat anchor and you have to call the glass company and spend the $2800. So, their goal is to talk me down from the ledge. It's interesting being at this end. Fortunately the company makes the same door in 1" smaller width so if you frame your shower too small or build out the tile too thick, you order the next size down. I don't mind doing tile but tight tolerances make my head hurt. My ego is telling me that I can do it (not the pros at John Bridge) but my sensibility is telling me to buy a traditional slider and cut the frame to fit. My wife thinks I'm an expert at all this stuff. I don't think she really understands how much digging and research I have to do before I'm brave enough to tackle this stuff.

[Image: shower%20door_zpsvz7erza7.jpg]

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Well if she wants a sexy lookin door, I'd hunker down and give her that door. You can do the opening.
Yes
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

You're going to get me in trouble.

... Kizar Sosay

After reading reviews on the door, we're going to pass. Looking into plan B.

... Kizar Sosay

Ah ol' plan B, sometimes masked as a plan A. Then some times it's down and looking like a plan Z.
Laugh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I like the look of frameless doors but the frameless swinging doors have no room for error in the tile work. Usually, you build the shower and the glass company measures and cuts the glass but the price is about three times our budget. The budget will buy an off the shelf framless swinging door or a cut to fit slider. I'd like to do a slider, my life would be so much easier.

... Kizar Sosay

Coming along nicely!  You'll like the John Bridge forum...bunch of pretty good guys that give decent advice.
(02-21-2017, 02:33 PM)brnhornt Wrote: Coming along nicely!  You'll like the John Bridge forum...bunch of pretty good guys that give decent advice.

Some great information and incredible tile setters but they have very deep pockets. Sound familiar? It can be hard to get answers that don't include the latest and greatest and most expensive technologies. They did talk me out of the door and style the wife wanted. I've decided to build the shower first, take measurements and then buy the door.

I am doing a traditional mud pan with cement board walls. This will be my third one. I don't like doing them but it fits the budget. The bathroom floor will also be cement board.

This will be the first time I've done a bathroom with a level floor.

... Kizar Sosay

Looking good Neil! 
Yes Brings back lots of memories of a few years ago. That $2,800 might look good in a couple of years, i.e. don't forget to take a look at the long view - BTDT.

Good luck and keep those pics coming!

Doug