Wanted,Wood Carver
Looking for a dedicated wood carver to work with and test one or two of my mallets. I recently had a limited amount of resin infused plain sawn hard maple mallets CNCd, based on a hand turned mallet of the same hard maple. I still need to alter them slightly by hand. These are single piece mallets weighing between 19.5 and 20.5 ounces. Down the road a bit I will need some one to test a two piece version as well. They will look similar to the pic. This one was hand turned. Thank you.
Got one. Thank you.
[Image: IMG_3412_zpsrtrcwcyk.jpg]
BontzSawWorks.net
Really really nice mallets Ron.  What is the % of the slope of the head?  From what my friends who has been carving over 35 years says between 3* to 5* or when the mallet hits the tool it the mallet should face should be level.

Also why not someone who used chisels a lot since it is the same thing I think.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Hi Arlin,
     My octagonal joinery mallets are at 5*. My round carving mallets are closer to 3* and slightly rounded since carvers are often swinging at odd angles. Also, I asked for a dedicated carver assuming they would have a broader reference of mallets to compare it to. I had a limited number of single piece carving mallets made and they were based on what felt right to my hand. But I am not a dedicated carver. So I sent out a  couple to get opinions. Some wood carvers do not even like round mallets. Unfortunately, I just can not afford to send out a bunch of them. Expensive to make. Hence the selective process. Thanks for asking. Best wishes.
BontzSawWorks.net
(01-30-2017, 05:30 PM)RonB1957 Wrote: Hi Arlin,
     My octagonal joinery mallets are at 5*. My round carving mallets are closer to 3* and slightly rounded since carvers are often swinging at odd angles. Also, I asked for a dedicated carver assuming they would have a broader reference of mallets to compare it to. I had a limited number of single piece carving mallets made and they were based on what felt right to my hand. But I am not a dedicated carver. So I sent out a  couple to get opinions. Some wood carvers do not even like round mallets. Unfortunately, I just can not afford to send out a bunch of them. Expensive to make. Hence the selective process. Thanks for asking. Best wishes.

I carve, but I'm not what you're looking for. Did want to say the mallet looks gorgeous and looks effective. I like the shape much better than my current wooden mallet.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
Thank you. Trying to come up with something ergonomic, and attractive. It's that form vs function thing. :
Smile   
" Always spinning the hamster wheel". Best wishes.
BontzSawWorks.net
The handle is way too long. So the balance is poor. I have carved white oak full time for months already, but just looking at that mallet makes my arm sore.
(01-30-2017, 06:39 PM)wmickley Wrote: The handle is way too long. So the balance is poor. I have carved white oak full time for months already, but just looking at that mallet makes my arm sore.

That carved ball on the end of the handle--a mallet with a pommel, go figure--looks like it would serve as a counterweight in the way it does on a sword. I would actually love to try that mallet out.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
(01-30-2017, 06:39 PM)wmickley Wrote: The handle is way too long. So the balance is poor. I have carved white oak full time for months already, but just looking at that mallet makes my arm sore.

Then you would want one of these 2 piece mallets. Shorter light weight handle. Infused head. Steel bolt passing all the way through. So even if the epoxied tenon ever came loose ( doubtful ) the rod and brass caps would prevent it from coming apart. 
     I am obviously not a full time carver, but I tend to hold the mallet up toward the head unless I really need to wack some thing. The over all length of the single piece mallet is approx. 10.5". The head portion is approx 3.75" long. The 2 piece is slightly shorter.
2 piece prototypes, of sorts. I settled on the one all maple in the middle. The one to the left, Walnut, is a slightly lighter mallet at 16oz. The brass ring really doesn't do anything. Just aesthetics. ala Blue Spruce. I won't be using those.
[Image: IMG_3328_zpsevvhx368.jpg]
Something more representative of what I am doing, between every thing else. :
Smile

The one on the left, hand turned, the others are CNCd then re turned by me to add a little more detail.
[Image: IMG_3469_zpskeuvkcmx.jpg]
BontzSawWorks.net
By the way, wmickley
As I recall, you did not care for my Ebony saw that I considered a more traditional saw. ( compared to what I usually make )
Smile
Soooo here is one just for you. It is a Spear ( no Jackson ) duplicate I made after refurbishing the original brought to me. The original had a 0.015" thick plate, 10" long filed 16 ppi rip. The handle I believe was beech and was a full 15/16" thick. There were no hint of "crisp" lines clearly being purposefully rounded.
[Image: IMG_3314_zps2cf4nv0k.jpg]
My version: 9.5" tooth line. 16 ppi rip, beech handle approx. 15/16" thick
[Image: IMG_3408_zps7rprkb1a.jpg]
So what is really a "traditional saw design"? In my view, it is simply a matter of what our life experiences are, what we read in magazines and preference. Thanks for your thoughts and best wishes.
BontzSawWorks.net
(01-30-2017, 05:36 PM)MattP Wrote: I carve, but I'm not what you're looking for. Did want to say the mallet looks gorgeous and looks effective. I like the shape much better than my current wooden mallet.

Hi Matt, and thank you. I looked at a lot of mallets on line, in stores etc. The only thing that even came close to what I thought was a good design was Dave's ( Blue Spruce ) . He has a knack for simple elegance in design. I liked the "Wood is Good" mallet with the urethane head. Quieter and softer blows. Even then I wanted something with a more attractive form and I could shift my hand on depending on what I was hitting. Most if not al the mallets I found were either too light weight, requiring huge heads to get the weight, or the handles were lacking. Hence my expensive little quest to come up with something I think is better. Time will tell. Probably should have stuck with just the one for me and friends.
Crazy Either way, a limited number were/ are being made. So back to my hamster cage.
BontzSawWorks.net