I just keep finding more house problems.
(02-01-2017, 10:10 AM)geek2me Wrote: That should be the first step for a tile job, tile needs much stiffer floors.  Very few kitchens can support tile as-built, they nearly always require structural reinforcement to support tile.  The JohnBridge site is a good resource for more information.

There is a good calculator for floor stiffness there. Funny thing is lomls brothers kitchen floor is tile and not Not a crack in it and it has a dip of well over an inch. But it's a dip and everything is under compression. 

Unfortunately the codes regarding framing are very bad. It's just enough to hold up up the floor and some contents and that's about it. I have seen allot of these energy efficient  houses using 24" on center floor joists for the seccond floor...... They use 24" oc for walls as well and yes its efficient but when you look at the overall life of the house and what happens to them over time many of those houses won't be around very long and end up using more energy and materials to rebuild it..
We moved into our house in '96.  Second owners, day we closed was really cold and pipes had burst.  Owners were afraid we back out. They had added on an addition that had carpet over particular board. The water  and Particle board did not mix well.  We tore it out and  laid down 1/2" CDX and engineered 3/8"oak wood floors.  It wasn't until we replaced the Windows we discovered the addition contractors moved the Window to the side of the house.  Except they did not add a header and Jack studs for it.
Angry   So I was off to Menard's on a Sunday afternoon, buying material to put in a header and proper Jack studs.  We had siding off, so just replaced it from the outside. Dan
At least my house seems to be built reasonably well. My barn? That's a different story. Studs that sit directly on the concrete (no bottom plate), then filled between, except now they've dry rotted up about 6". Main roof that has rafters 4' on center and were only 2x4s. Lean-to roofs that are also 4' spacing, to keep the plywood from sagging they ran 2x4s from one rafter to another. I've rebuilt most of the roof already.
Its scheduled to have it siding replaced this summer, maybe I can figure out what's holding it up, it sure seems like nothing is, but it survived the 70 MPh winds we has a couple weeks ago.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

pretty sure the plumber I hired to unstick the kitchen sink bumped a valve and the resulting leak ended up with me ripping out all the walls in the basement and replacing them.  Hopefully it will be better insulated, but it has been a lot of work